StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Help with BSP vs NPT 1"

edited April 2016 in Accessories

We seek 3x4500w Camco 02952/02953 4500W 240V Screw -In Lime Life Ripple Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density from US as suggested and all of them are 1 "NPT , while ours 3xguard kit element are 1 inch female pipe thread in British Standard Pipe (BSP), and these two are not compatible right? we are very concerned about it. what is the solution? eternally grateful

Comments

• There is no need to worry, with the size of 1 inch there is practically no difference between NPT and BSP. In fact, our element adapters and element guard kits are the same all over the planet, so all the Americans are successfully using it with their NPT elements.

As mentioned earlier I'd definitely go for the Camco elements, they are the most popular ones for good reasons. Use some teflon tape on the thread and there will be no issues.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Thank you Michael. This lets me breathe. I was already thinking of cutting and welding new thread... 8-X
    as I said we think the reference 02952/02953 4500W 240V, but there really a significant difference between this and for example 02582/02583 4500W 240V Low Watt Density?

• I did not know that the protection element kits are the same all over the planet , I created great doubt read in SD North America with a 1 " NSPT connection for standard water heating elements

• edited April 2016

The ripple type has more surface area, hence the ultra low watt density vs. just low watt density for the straight foldback type. I'd use the ultra low watt density ones for direct immersion in a single wall boiler, you can never have enough surface area on an element for that, however it's less of an issue with indirect heating in a bain-marie boiler. Others with actual experience may give you some more insight.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• It's funny the thread difference. 1/2" and 3/8th bsp will screw into an npt thread well enough although not all the way. 3/4 and above will not. I've got some NPT threaded element guard kits by mistake over the years and our BSP threaded elements won't screw into them and they need retapping.

The bsp element guard kits have always shipped to the states though to the best of my knowledge and their NPT elements screw in fine as Michael said. Perhaps @Smaug can confirm for sure.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• No problems that I am aware of.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Is the guard a bulk head type arrangement?
    When bringing the two different thread standards together it's the threads per inch that gets you.
    According to that chart 1/2" and 3/4" are the only ones that are actually the same (although the tread profile differs a bit too). Anything under that is close but still a bit dodgy. Anything over that I haven't got working without an adapter or going to down to NPT 1/2" or 3/4" then back up in BSP (or visa versa) as a work around.

• NPT vs. BSP Pipe

BSP:

NPT:

posted this afore somewheres.... :D

bsp.gif
    331 x 223 - 8K
    npt.jpg
    346 x 231 - 16K
  • I recently bought a 1" BSP element with a 1" NPT TC adaptor for it to screw into. The element has been made 1 thou undersize to get a better fit.

On the 1" BSP it is 11 threads per inch and on the NPT it is 11.5 threads per inch. Close enough to be compatible for low pressure but not acceptable for high pressure applications.

• edited April 2016

IF THIS IS HELP FOR SOMEONE

NPT in BSPP D.pitch.jpg
    800 x 607 - 40K
    NPT in BSPT D.pitch.jpg
    800 x 695 - 55K
    NPT in BSPT S.pitch.jpg
    800 x 732 - 49K
  • @XEIP said: We seek 3x4500w Camco 02952/02953 4500W 240V Screw -In Lime Life Ripple Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density from US as suggested and all of them are 1 "NPT

I suggest trying to get the stainless base ones if you have not ordered..

Heating Element, 5500 watt RIPPLE, All Stainless Steel @ BrewHardware.com

Electric Heating Elements @ brewmation

heck, for $250, you can heat a lot through one element hole!

15000 Watt 208V 3-phase Heating Element. 2"TC Base 31" element length. $250.00

15000W.jpg
    800 x 144 - 17K
  • edited April 2016

For now I'll use three of these 4500 Watt. They were already orders from the moment Michael said there would be no problems between BSP & NPT and they are already at home But. this element @CothermanDistilling 15000 Watt looks incredible, Do you think they would sent it to Europe? Does the difference in price is worth it? Are you using one like that?

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K
  • edited April 2016

You can get immersion heaters any size you like in UK.

Removable Brewery Immersion Heater PIR Range @ Process Heating Services Ltd.

• I am using the 5500W version of what you have pictured, I kinda wish I bought the stainless ones, I will buy a couple stainless ones when my spare gets put into service...

• @CothermanDistilling said: I am using the 5500W version of what you have pictured, I kinda wish I bought the stainless ones, I will buy a couple stainless ones when my spare gets put into service...

Yes? But the stainless one is just a straight foldback. Isn't the Ripple Ultra Low Wattage type the best recommendation?

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• There are all sorts. You can get curved ones to match the diameter of the boiler, you can even get ones wound into a coil that look like a coil reflux condenser.