My 1st Tomato Paste Wash

Followed the recipe from Tuesday. Now she's going like a train (bubbling). Hoping to be done in a week.

Comments

• edited April 2016

2/4 I put down TPW 40L... 8 kg CSR sugar 250 to 350g of tomato paste, 1/2 to of citric acid. And a 8 g or sn9. Next day I put in another 8g of the sn9. Been going Like a train since the second 8g sn9 In. It was at 0.1700 on the 2/4 have not check for a another reading waiting for the bubbles to stop bubbling. Hop every thing is right. Happy for import if I miss something

• This ones pretty forgiving - I couldn't stuff it up so I think you'll be safe!

Will be working on a large batch soon, then strip volume and do second run (spirit run) with a combo of pot & plates for ultra cleanness!

Did the first couple of batches as a single run on 4" X 4 plates and we were blown away with it. That was my first run (after cleaning and sac. runs) - easy as, surprised the heck out of me!

I think you can't go wrong following the recipe AND it gives you the chance to get to know your still better! I can see why it's being recommended not only for taste but for practice!! Cheap as chips and super easy...

• edited April 2016

@EZiTasting said: This ones pretty forgiving - I couldn't stuff it up so I think you'll be safe!

Will be working on a large batch soon, then strip volume and do second run (spirit run) with a combo of pot & plates for ultra cleanness!

Did the first couple of batches as a single run on 4" X 4 plates and we were blown away with it. That was my first run (after cleaning and sac. runs) - easy as, surprised the heck out of me!

I think you can't go wrong following the recipe AND it gives you the chance to get to know your still better! I can see why it's being recommended not only for taste but for practice!! Cheap as chips and super easy...

Yep I can say that all true better than turbo you. It's been a week and 1 day now bubbling it's just slowing down. Once stopped I should check I think.

• I've just done my first reading after 1 week it was 1.7 now it's 1.5. Have to wait till I hit 0.9

• I do 200 litre TPWs and had trouble with slow and stalled ferments until I realised there is a slight non-linearity in scaling up from a 25 litre batch. By adding 50% more tomato paste and using 100g of DAP I now get a ferment that finishes in 7-8 days. Forget about the expensive yeast nutrients, just oxygenate your wash properly and have the temperature between 25 to 30C and you'll get from 1.070 to 0.985, yes 0.985 using EC1118. I may have a dodgy SG hydrometer but it is the same one I've used for years and I only ever got down to 0.990 with my previous ferments.

• @ElectricEd said: I do 200 litre TPWs and had trouble with slow and stalled ferments until I realised there is a slight non-linearity in scaling up from a 25 litre batch. By adding 50% more tomato paste and using 100g of DAP I now get a ferment that finishes in 7-8 days. Forget about the expensive yeast nutrients, just oxygenate your wash properly and have the temperature between 25 to 30C and you'll get from 1.070 to 0.985, yes 0.985 using EC1118. I may have a dodgy SG hydrometer but it is the same one I've used for years and I only ever got down to 0.990 with my previous ferments.

That good bud getting down to 0.985. Can I ask what's 100g DAP?

• edited April 2016

Diammonium Phosphate - it's a commonly used yeast nutrient.

Usually called DAP - because it's easier to say than that jumble of letters.

DAP is not considered a "whole" nutrient however - it does not supply other types of nutrition to the yeast. It is a simple nutrient that only provides nitrogen and phosphorus. It is most commonly used for fermentation stock that is low in nitrogen.

For example, in a straight sugar wash, DAP alone will not supply all micronutrients. However, using a complex nutrient in the dosages required might be very expensive. So, most commercial enterprises will use a mix of complex nutrient and stretch that with DAP (which is less expensive).

• edited April 2016

You should be able to get a TPW wash with DAP to finish in 3 days at 30c.

If you can get EC-1118 to start quickly (increase your pitch rate and use GOOD YEAST REHYDRATION TECHNIQUE), it's incredibly fast, and finishes very deep.

As clean as EC is, at 30c, it's not going to be clean though.

• edited April 2016

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 2016

So far it's 1.150 bubbling has slowed down but it still bubbling so that's a good sign

Smelling like alcohol

I say it will take about another 2 weeks.

• How much sugar did you put in how many litres mate? Should not take a month if you put 8kg in 40l.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 2016

Yep 8KG in 40l it's was 28 for the 1St 5 days and the rest was 26 to 22 degrees.

Would that be making a difference?

• edited April 2016

1.150?

If it started at 1.170 - that's about 18kg of sugar. I have no idea what tomato paste does to a gravity reading, but with that little amount, it can't make that much difference.

If the fermentation is slowing at 1.150 - that wash is toast.

If the starting gravity was 1.170 - it really didn't have a chance anyway.

• edited April 2016

@grim said: 1.150?

If it started at 1.170 - that's about 18kg of sugar. I have no idea what tomato paste does to a gravity reading, but with that little amount, it can't make that much difference.

If the fermentation is slowing at 1.150 - that wash is toast.

If the starting gravity was 1.170 - it really didn't have a chance anyway.

I think I may of read the metre worng it's probably 1.07 and now 1.02

• Yes the temperature is slowing it down. Wrap an electric blanket round it and put it on lowish, then a doona or blanket around the lot.

You want it around 30C

• edited May 2016

@punkin said: Yes the temperature is slowing it down. Wrap an electric blanket round it and put it on lowish, then a doona or blanket around the lot. You want it around 30C

It's at 24 degrees
    Yes the temperature is slowing down don't have a electrical blanket but it's 1.000 now will it make it to 0.990

• I'm frustrated when a fermentation takes 5 days to finish as opposed to 4.

A whole month? That is just nuts.

• Hey .... try making apple cider the traditional way. Double fermented and in short 5 to 6 months before you can bottle.

• So guys will the wash make it to 0.990 or should I give up?

• edited May 2016

@grim said: Run it.

Run it before it gets yo 0.990

• 0.990 is as far as a super healthy happy ferment gets. Yours sounds laboured. It probably looks quite clear with a yeast cake on the bottom now because it's settling out. 1.000 is pretty much dry so I'd say siphon it off into your still and run it

• @mark85 said: 0.990 is as far as a super healthy happy ferment gets. Yours sounds laboured. It probably looks quite clear with a yeast cake on the bottom now because it's settling out. 1.000 is pretty much dry so I'd say siphon it off into your still and run it

Ok sounds good doing it today.

• edited May 2016

Is it ok that some tomato paste chunks when in the Still

• Watch out for chunks in the still. There can often be dead yeast cells in the chunks and you end up with a yeasty flavoured and smelling vodka. It pays to be careful.

• Splash the wash after racking it, between buckets a few times. Releases some CO2 and helps settling whatever is in it. Leave it overnight in buckets then put it in boiler. The more crystal clear, the cleaner the final product.

• If you don't have buckets, get some. A lot of buckets. Many, many buckets.

• Guys should I use Dextrose on my next wash?

• @AZZA1984 said: Guys should I use Dextrose on my next wash?

No, its expensive and you shouldn't have too. I think I saw a pic of your rig in another thread, is it a store bought "super reflux"?

• edited May 2016

@mark85 said: I think I saw a pic of your rig in another thread, is it a store bought "super reflux"?

Still not my, I soon be getting set-up soon. I got my hart on a 4" StillDragon.. The old style one. And a 50l milk can too.