Newbie First Run Questions

edited April 2016 in Usage

Hi folks,

I just received my 4" CD ProCap setup and I am running for the first time and had a few questions. My setup is as follows:

• 15.5 gallon keg boiler (uninsulated)
  • 5500W wavy electric element controlled with SD controller
  • Standard 4 plate CD setup with 4" Dephleg / 2" PC with SD parrot
  • Temp monitoring on RC and PC out, column above RC and product temp in parrot
  • Cooling with city water (58°F)
  • Room temp 61°F

My cleaning run is 13 gallons TPW (8% Wash).

I am attempting to get the column equalized (100% reflux). I started the run at 100% power until I saw fogging on the top plate and reduced power to 50%. Unfortunately, got some huffing and product in the parrot before I was able to dial in (I think) the settings. The settings that I believe have me in equilibrium are:

35% power (on the SD controller), RC temp out of 33.6°C - 34°C and no vapor past the RC and all four plates bubbling happily. This with the needle valve backed out 8 full rotations.

After all that...my questions (sorry for the length, I wanted to included as much detail as possible).

1. Do these settings seem about right?
  2. If so, would I maintain the same power level and simply close the RC out needle valve slowly to begin taking fores and heads (3-4 drips / second)?
  3. Should I place the column back into equilibrium before taking each fraction?

I have very much enjoyed reading all I can on SD forum and thought I had it pretty much figured out, right up until I started the run. As they say, no plan ever survives first contact with the enemy.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Capt

Comments

• Valve settings will vary with water pressure and temp. of the water supply... keep making notes till you find your happy spot... sounds like your getting it under control...

happy stillin,

FS

• edited April 2016

Thanks for the reply @FullySilenced. I was able to run at equilibrium for over an hour without any changes to RC outlet temps. I did notice when I attempted to let vapor by to take fores/heads at 3-4 drops / sec by closing the RC outlet needle valve a couple full turns, the top and middle plates seemed to dry up while the bottom and third plate bubbled normally. I had to add power (37% on the controller) to get any product out of the parrot. I am sure that I am missing something, but I cant figure it out.

• It's like trying to tell someone how to use the clutch and the throttle at the same time. You can expalin the mechanics, but learning to drive is something that you have to practice to get a feel for and then develop your own style.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: It's like trying to tell someone how to use the clutch and the throttle at the same time. You can expalin the mechanics, but learning to drive is something that you have to practice to get a feel for and then develop your own style.

Love that description!!

@captnops you can reduce the waterflow OR increase the power to the element. Personally, I like to control the power.

• the first two you have pretty much right, question 3, no, it kind of happens by itself with fixed RC water flow... you are on your way... now go make a dozen runs or so and take notes, then come back and write us a report on what you learned and we will critique it ;-)

• @captnops - my set up seems to be different to yours. I have 2 X 2400watt heating elements and use both at full power to get the boile ... Boiling. Then I switch off the top (or higher element) and run the lower element flat-stick. I use the RC to control the reflux and what/when I let thru any steam.

I find this very simple (less variables) and it seems to be working very well. But, as said above, each set up varies and you need to find your sweet spot. Having you still in a closed room will make it behave different to runing it outside (so I discovered! Amazing the effect of a cool breeze on your settings!!). As a fellow newbie, we tend to get hung up on getting it perfect... We won't, for a while! So relax and enjoy it and keep reading...