San Diego 2016

Heading out. It's a long paddle from here.

See you on the other side.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

Tagged:

Comments

• Good time to come too. Weather was crappy last week and it's warming up again. It should be nice all week while you guys are here for the conference. Make sure you enjoy some Carne Asada Fries while here.

• Was listening to The Beatles as I approached the LA coast,
    "There's a fog upon LA..."
    and there was.
    Please don't be long...

God please don't let California slide off into the Pacific while I'm here.

• @richard said: Taco's too

Tako tacos.

• @Kapea said: Was listening to The Beatles as I approached the LA coast,
    "There's a fog upon LA..."
    and there was.
    Please don't be long...

God please don't let California slide off into the Pacific while I'm here.

You picked the wrong track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrkDGxZexA

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Any meet ups planned outside the conference. I'd like to meet a few of ya.

• edited April 2016

I haven't heard of any planned meet-ups yet. I spent the afternoon yesterday having lunch and exploring Old Town with the StillDragon crew.

I'm taking the Gin making short course at Kill Devil Soirits today. There was talk of an inpromtu distillery crawl from there after the course is finished.

• @punkin said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrkDGxZexA

The hotel/condo I'm staying at uses an access card, so I left all my keys at home :D

• @Kapea said: I haven't heard of any planned meet-ups yet. I spent the afternoon yesterday having lunch and exploring Old Town with the StillDragon crew.

I'm taking the Gin making short course at Kill Devil Soirits today. There was talk of an inpromtu distillery crawl from there after the course is finished.

What time is that?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I know of at least 3 meet ups this week, I was told people would be informed of the following. Unfortunate people are being lame so @Kapea I won't be at the gin workshop. Hope to see you all at the trade show tomorrow if not tonight at S&S

TONIGHT!: Soda and Swine at Liberty Station (I heard start time is 5:30pm to whenever) Wednesday: The Tipsy Crow in Downtown Thursday: Quad Alehouse in Downtown

If people are interested in visiting any of the east county distilleries (IE KDSC, Liberty Call Distilling, San Diego Distilling) I can help arrange things. There are busses going to and from the distilleries from the Town and Country today and Thursday, not sure about tomorrow and Wednesday (KDSC is open to the idea of having people come in on those days though)

Feel free to contact me via email (luke@killdevilspiritco.com) if you have any questions you can't get answered and I'll see if I can help.

• Also, if anybody is staying until Saturday, Liberty Call Distilling is having their 1 year Anniversary celebration. I will definitely be at that

• edited April 2016

I'll take "Name That Still" for $500 please Alex.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K

• Hope it's worth the $400

• Not even close.

• sorry to hear, hope you at least got to try some samples. I may have some of that Double IPA left to cheer you up later

• Don't know what that whiskey hat is for if you are obligated to send all the vapor to the rectifier?

• Bit of piping missing?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Looks like they can knock out the plates.
    What don't you get?
    I'm more confused about the gin basket.

• It was running sugarhead vodka while i was there. Not sure how to read the valve settings above the gin basket though. Both ball valve handles were straight up.

• @jacksonbrown said: Looks like they can knock out the plates.
    What don't you get?
    I'm more confused about the gin basket.

Why the fuck would you pull the column down to do single runs when a three way valve above the dip to the column and the path to the condensor same as our designs would allow you to do it with the flick of a lever? You'd then run straight from the hat to the condensor for a pot still.

• Why pay for a couple of 2" three ways when you don't need too?
    Drain the trays and don't turn on the water??? Am I missing something??

• the plates are bypassable, but I'm lost as to why the still is set up the way it is, I use the valves and theres is definitely 2 missing (along with the piping). And why the hell were they running vodka at a gin workshop?!?... those valves are positioned to bypass the basket in that pic... I'm more lost now :/

• Never be able to a pisco with that.

• What they were doing with the still had nothing to do with our workshop (hence my not even close comment above). It was merely set dressing.

The only hands-on we had was pouring our own gin tasting samples.

• did you get anything out of it?

• Oh, and we got to fondle some juniper berries

• edited April 2016

@jacksonbrown said: did you get anything out of it?

I got hang out with some cool people, got to taste some really interesting gins, lunch was great, and the afternoon presenter is very pretty, very smart, very nice, and a gin distiller in London. She makes an Old Tom that rocks.

Was the course $400 worth?
    Not even close.

• Ouch, really sorry to hear. Not a lot of good commentary from people across the board (as in the entire conference not just that workshop)

• I'm here to socialize and have fun. I like hanging out with people that have the same interests that I have. Breakout sessions that are interesting are lagniappe.

Short courses should strive to provide value for your aditional investment.

• Anything Corsair has, beg/borrow/sneak/steal your way in... usually just a class with a small fee, but was always the highlight for us... wish we could have made it this year...