Slow roasted local pork shoulder with a wee bit of whiskey

Chef: Gavin Hughes

Being a Scotsman, I love (actually live for the cooler the months - the heat here really is a killer). I get to eat hearty, robust dinners that I prefer to cook. Pork really is better in the cooler months where Pigs eat more (bit like humans ...). Pork shoulder is a nice piece of meat to cook and eat. It is cheaper than loin and fillet and I think tastes a lot better too, especially when cooked in my special sauce of whiskey and coke! Ask your butcher for a 2kg size shoulder, bone in for better cooking. Just roughly chop the veg (they don't need to be too precise).

• Serves: 4
  • Degree of difficulty: Low

Ingredients

2kg bone in pork shoulder
1-2 brown onions-chopped
1 whole bulb of garlic (cut in half)
2 sticks celery-chopped
2 carrots-chopped
1 leek-chopped
2-3 bay leaves
4 sticks rosemary
1/2 bunch thyme
1lt chicken or beef stock
2 cans coke
1 cup nice whiskey (not too nice though, doesn't need to be the 15 single malt)

Method

Place all the chopped veg in decent sized casserole dish. Place pork shoulder on top and pour over whiskey, coke and stock. Add in the garlic and herbs. Cover tightly with alum/ foil and cook in a slow oven (150 0C) for a good 3-4 hours.

Remove the foil and test the meat. It should literally fall off the bone without any resistance. Pull all the meat off the bone (into nice eating size pieces) and set aside with the cooked veg.

Boil down all the roasting juices from the casserole dish, add a bit more stock, thickening slightly with some corn flour if you wish.

Serving suggestions

Serve with nice salad of radicchio, chard, peas and broad beans and celeriac remoulade

Tagged:

Comments