StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Red Door Distillery and the tale of the 8" Crystal Dragon.....

191011121315»

Comments

• edited February 2014

Come on man!!! Shouldn't throw a bone out to the dogs and then pull it away. It does sound interesting though. Here is something I found.

Biotechnol Bioeng. 2005 Jan 5;89(1):123-7.
    A biocatalyst for the removal of sulfite from alcoholic beverages.
    Lin SC, Georgiou G.

Abstract

The presence of sulfites in alcoholic beverages, particularly in wines, can cause allergic responses with symptoms ranging from mild gastrointestinal problems to life threatening anaphylactic shock in a substantial portion of the population. We have developed a simple and inexpensive biocatalytic method that employs wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum) chloroplasts for the efficient oxidation of sulfites in wines to innocuous sulfates. A sufficiently high rate of sulfite oxidation was obtained in the presence of ethanol at concentrations commonly found in most wines. Crude chloroplast preparations at a concentration as low as 5 mg/mL were capable of reducing sulfite in commercial white wines from 150 ppm to under 7.5 ppm within 3 hours. A 93% removal of sulfite in commercial red wines was observed with 1 mg/mL chloroplasts within 45 min. Optimal sulfite removal efficiency was observed at pH 8.5 and was promoted by illumination, indicating the participation of light-induced photosynthetic electron transport processes in sulfite oxidation. Overall, this work indicates that biocatalytic oxidation using wheatgrass chloroplasts can be employed to remove sulfites from beverages prior to consumption.

• Heavy, not sure what it means. Sounds complicated. Or maybe if someone could decipher what they are saying we will all go and get some wheatgrass and do whatever they are saying and drop it in the mash and give it a try.

• did a little more research, you may need a centrifuge. I'm out, back to copper. lol

• Please give RRD the space to have a commercial process. It's not compulsory to share commercial processes round here.

BTW, don't ask me for my jerky recipe :-h

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I bet it gives you the shits if you eat too much

• Wine industry has extensive internet info on methods for dealing with sulfides. Some can be poisonus.

• @captainshooch said: Wine industry has extensive internet info on methods for dealing with sulfides. Some can be poisonus.

+1 Just a quick google search results in a fair few hits with dangerous chemicals to oxidise the H2S.

You'd really need a course on the specifics of chemistry in this area, or pay someone for to do it for you - just to be safe.......

• @Philter Exactly my point. There is a right way and many wrong ways. Sorry but I can not share knowledge due to potential liability if someone does it wrong.

• My wife Tara and I just visited @RedDoorDistillery and got the tour, the 8" CD is definitely beautiful, the hospitality and question answering were top notch. So great to see a distillery of the scale we are doing in person. Bought a bottle of the wheat vodka to take home, Thanks again!

• Dang Michael I wish ida had you pick one up for me. I'd pay ya back.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @CothermanDistilling Great to have you and Tara today. Glad you were able to stop by while you were in town for ADI. We definitely plan to swing out and visit you the next time we are down in Orlando visiting family.

• @Smaug said: Dang Michael I wish ida had you pick one up for me. I'd pay ya back.

You'd think RDD would send me half of a left over bottle but NO!

• @Lloyd LOL. You told me is was difficult to ship a bottle to you there in China. You will just have to come over here to Seattle to see me....

• Just ribbing ya, RDD. Shipping anything to me is usually more expensive than it's worth.

• @smaug - we were already near our limit for weight on bags, but next time you are by, you can taste it and a few more from the area..