Hand Operated Pumps

So in an effort to keep costs to a minimum and skirt some ATEX issues, we are considering initially to use a hand pump to transfer NGS (96.3%) from 210 litre drums to the still, either directly with an inline flow meter or indirectly into smaller 10 litre containers. We'd be transferring a maximum of 100 litres at any one time. Question is, does anyone else use a hand pump and if so what materials should I be looking to avoid. All stainless steel construction is the obvious choice...is there anything else?

Comments

• Are you actually being held to that stringent of a requirement? Or are you attempting to be pre-emptive with local authorities?

I would first confirm that a manual pump doesn't need to be ATEX, while they aren't electrical ignition sources, that doesn't mean there aren't other ATEX requirements surrounding static ignition sources.

I'm only saying this, because my PALL filter housings all have ATEX markings. A filter housing - no moving parts at all. I would imagine they wouldn't have gone through the trouble unless there was a requirement.

• edited March 2016

@Spirited said: All stainless steel construction is the obvious choice...is there anything else?

You need to sure all materials involved in the wetted surfaces are compatible with high proof ethanol. You likely won't find a completely stainless pump that doesn't also involve seals and synthetic materials of sorts. This means there will be materials like EPDM, Viton, Teflon, Butyl, Neoprene, Polypropylene, etc etc involved. You must know what all the materials in the pump are, and you will need to verify that they are compatible with pure ethyl alcohol.

Also, keep in mind, just because a pump is made for hydrocarbon fuels (pumping a flammable liquid) - don't assume that it contains materials compatible with alcohol.

• edited March 2016

Flojet G70C has ATEX markings EX II 2G c IIB TX, and is made of compatible materials - PP/Kalrez. Is this sufficient?

You can routinely find it for about $400usd - but will require air - or if air is a problem - use a standard nitrogen cylinder - low cost - non-combustible - portable - doesn't create additional electrical requirements. I say nitrogen and not CO2, because nitrogen is generally less expensive. You'll need to fabricate some sort of cart to hold the tank, pump, hoses, filtration or otherwise - as it will be a rats nest of hoses otherwise.

@Spirited said: either directly with an inline flow meter

You'll probably want to weigh your drum to get an accurate accounting of GNS transferred. Not sure what the European regulations are, but here in the US, you would need to gauge and record the transfer with a high level of accuracy - an inline flow meter would not be anywhere near as accurate as a scale and a hydrometer.

• edited March 2016

@grim - many thanks for all the input. Very useful. Static ignition was something we have stumbled upon and are assuming an earth tether for discharge would have to be factored in. We're not skirting all AteX requirements, that would be potentially dangerous. We're just trying to investigate production methods that will minimise risk and where/if possible AtEx rated kit. That said, there's no getting away from expensive lighting!!

Flojets are definitely an option as we will have an airline coming into the site, that said I do like the idea of a mobile nitrogen powered pump. Any idea what volume of Nitrogen would be required to push 100L of liquid from one vessel to another.

• If you are using air anyway, or nitrogen, why not just use positive pressure? Will a 210 litre drum take enough pressure to empty it?

• No moving parts...

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: No moving parts...

I'm perfectly happy to stand still for 6 hours!

• @grim said: Flojet G70C has ATEX markings EX II 2G c IIB TX, and is made of compatible materials - PP/Kalrez. Is this sufficient?

You can routinely find it for about $400usd - but will require air - or if air is a problem - use a standard nitrogen cylinder - low cost - non-combustible - portable - doesn't create additional electrical requirements. I say nitrogen and not CO2, because nitrogen is generally less expensive. You'll need to fabricate some sort of cart to hold the tank, pump, hoses, filtration or otherwise - as it will be a rats nest of hoses otherwise.

You'll probably want to weigh your drum to get an accurate accounting of GNS transferred. Not sure what the European regulations are, but here in the US, you would need to gauge and record the transfer with a high level of accuracy - an inline flow meter would not be anywhere near as accurate as a scale and a hydrometer.

We have to go by weight on beer dispense at the brewery I currently work for, the other method i guess are calibrated vessels. Again, not uncommon. Its a relatively simple work around around when compared to say...avoiding a vapour explosion!!

• I have one of those little flojets given by friend that used to work at the pump distributor... need to hook it up and make a short video...

• edited March 2016

Always wondered if these would be good: 12 GPM Manual Bilge Pump @ Danard Marine Products

• It's probably polypropylene, which is fine, but it's the diaphragms that are going to be a problem - it doesn't list what they are.

• edited March 2016

I dont know why people dont use perstaltic pumps. This is the best one I have been able to find on Amazon.

Simply Pumps PM600 Peristaltic Self Priming High Flow Heavy Duty Tubing Pump, 12V, DC, 90 GPH Maximum Flow Rate @ Amazon

For $320 and probably about 50 bucks to make up a 12 v DC controller you have a variable speed peristalitic pump. 90 GPH which is about 300l per hour is not a lot but there are not a lot of people making spirits in that high volumes.

• We have a little Cole Parmer masterflex i/p industrial peristaltic. You can find them on eBay pretty cheap - we have the one with the larger standalone motor and separate controller box.

It does a couple of liters a minute with the larger tubing, which can get expensive, because you go through it somewhat quickly.

It's variable speed which is nice, not bad for small scale operations. Not explosion proof (see the original poster's dilemma about ATEX), but I have seen explosion proof variants.

• Apologies for the silence. All great comments above or which we are hugely grateful. We've decided to settle on an atex flojet for transfer of NGS from drums to still (via smaller containers) and a non atex for transfer of R/O water to blending tanks. Just need to sort out CIP pump for 200L still which is now on its way to us as I write :)