40 Litre Fermenter

With the tomato paste wash what makes 40 litres. Can I use 2 x 30 litre barrels or should I buy a 50 litre barrel?

Tagged:

Comments

• you would have to divide the recipe and make 2 separate batches imho, if you have 2x30 lt barrels have a look the kale recipe on here.

• If it was recipe i did a fair bit of i'd do it in a 200 litrle plastic drum. That way you'll get 4 runs from each ferment.

Otherwise just get a 60l fermenter and make 40-45l batches.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks guys love this forum

• @jez said: you would have to divide the recipe and make 2 separate batches imho, if you have 2x30 lt barrels have a look the kale recipe on here.

So you saying it's ok the mix the 2 batches together.

@punkin said: If it was recipe i did a fair bit of i'd do it in a 200 litrle plastic drum. That way you'll get 4 runs from each ferment.

Otherwise just get a 60l fermenter and make 40-45l batches.

The 60l fermenter will be heavier and hard too move around

What's your thoughts as it's the same price for both of them

• Do whichever suits you best.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2016

I put all my fermentors on these: 18 In x 12 In. 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly @ Harbor Freight Tools

I have three 60 ltr and one 120 ltr and it's easy to push them around. Very stable.

• I can't see a 60 litre plasic drum with 40l of wash in it being heavier than a 50l keg with 40l of wash in it.

• One thing to consider, the larger you go, the more important active cooling becomes, especially during the warmer seasons. Smaller fermenter sizes have more surface area, and can throw off more heat, larger have less surface area, and can hold heat in.

• @AZZA1984 nah mate if you already have 30lt barrels try the making the 25lt kale recipe in those barrels instead of trying to divide the 40 lt TPW into the 30 lts

• edited March 2016

Recipes scale linearly, what's the problem with the fermenter size? I don't follow. Make your batch bigger, or smaller, as needed. Sizing your fermenter to fit the recipe? Crazy talk.

• My apologies I wasn't suggesting that you size your fermenter to a recipe.

• @Knafs said: I put all my fermentors on these: 18 In x 12 In. 1000 lb. Capacity Hardwood Dolly @ Harbor Freight Tools

I have three 60 ltr and one 120 ltr and it's easy to push them around. Very stable.

Thanks that's a good ider

@punkin said: I can't see a 60 litre plasic drum with 40l of wash in it being heavier than a 50l keg with 40l of wash in it.

Thanks didn't think that

• Thanks guys get home in 3 weeks. I'm just starting out so sorry for asking stupid questions but I'm using my cousins stuff haven't got my own drum yet. Will be going for the 60l I say. I'll put up a pic when I put my 1St TPW down.

• @jez said: AZZA1984 nah mate if you already have 30lt barrels try the making the 25lt kale recipe in those barrels instead of trying to divide the 40 lt TPW into the 30 lts

I looked at the kale recipe got some good review will try it next time. Someone said that you should not mixed barrels between to recipe. ( the smell or taste to go on to your next wash) what's your thos guys

• edited March 2016

@AZZA1984 said: Someone said that you should not mixed barrels between to recipe

Don't worry about this, it's not a problem. You need to wash and sanitize anyway, so the barrels will be pretty clean. What you do need to worry about is getting a barrel that was used for something that has fouled the plastic. Pickles, sour kraut, non-food chemicals, certain flavorings, dyes, etc. If after you wash it and sanitize it, you still gag when you put your head inside, use it as a cooling water barrel instead.

• edited March 2016

@grim said:

@AZZA1984 said: Someone said that you should not mixed barrels between to recipe

Don't worry about this, it's not a problem. You need to wash and sanitize anyway, so the barrels will be pretty clean. What you do need to worry about is getting a barrel that was used for something that has fouled the plastic. Pickles, sour kraut, non-food chemicals, certain flavorings, dyes, etc. If after you wash it and sanitize it, you still gag when you put your head inside, use it as a cooling water barrel instead.

Thanks you. All you guys have been really helpful.