Johnson Controls

I have a bunch of these Johnson Controls 9206GGA and GGC. I've been unable to get all but one working with the various PID's that I've tried. Right now I'm trying voltage control on my RedLion PID. The one on the left seems to be able to be controlled back and forth but it only moves over a very small range. I have three of the black ones in the middle they seem to respond to my control but it seems that once they get to a certain voltage the actuator won't return back to zero until I pull the power. The one on the right as soon as it gets power immediately actuates to its full range and then just sits there no matter what I do. The one on the right is actually a duplicate of a valve that I have working perfectly. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I just have the bad luck of getting a bunch of broken units?

image.jpg
800 x 600 - 84K

Comments

• Have you double checked with a multimeter?
    What I mean is have you confirmed that the valves are actually getting the correct signal?

• Yeah it goes between 0-10v as expected. The valves just don't respond correctly.

• I screwed up wiring the black ones. They do work. But there is something wrong with the two blue ones. The one on the right displays additional odd behavior. Given the same control setting, it will open the valve to different openings. It's not repeatable.

• edited March 2016

I had issues with the spring return controllers - one with a broken spring mechanism that would exhibit all sort of weird issues, not full open, not full return, inaccurate position. We successfully repaired one of them, and it's in use today, but I have a feeling it's on borrowed time. There was a small plastic gear that had come off, and the spring wasn't fully wound. We put it back together and rewound the spring (I think too tight).

I found a similar valve, no spring return (motor both directions) to replace it, but haven't installed yet.

@jbierling said: The one on the right as soon as it gets power immediately actuates to its full range and then just sits there no matter what I do. The one on the right is actually a duplicate of a valve that I have working perfectly.

Can you try switching the rotation for CW to CCW or vice versa? It should move either way though.

• Also - check the dip switches. You can try making it do an auto recalibration by setting it to auto vs fixed (if you have the dip switches).