StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Dilution of Distillate

2»

Comments

• Our rum was stable at room temperature, but we tested at freezer temperatures to preempt silly customers. I respect the unfiltered label idea, but that's not the brand identity we're building. Did just what @jacksonbrown described, oils dropping out when chilled but liquefying again at room temperature. In my beginner's opinion, I believe our chill filtering only removed what I should have in the tails cut anyway.

The flavor was pretty simple to start with, all-molasses wash and no bacterial pitch. I'm kicking myself a little for not keeping one of the chill-haze test bottles for R&D comparison, but with before and after being a day apart there wasn't a noticeable difference. I would call the end product a solid clear rum, but it probably lacks the complexity to age well. I'll be in DC next week with a bottle if there's anyone in that area who wants to give me an opinion.

• I won't make it to DC but you can have my opinion anytime :D

• @RobertS Thanks for the feedback. I have distilled my spirits again to see if I can get a clearer dilution. I get to about 48% abv before the final product becomes cloudy. I have not tried cold filtering, but will give it a go. I am starting to think that it might be a congener in the spirit from the yeast that I was using. I could not get distillers yeast and used yeast that is provided for the brewing of traditional sorghum beer for my fermentation.

• Traditional sorghum yeast? Are you in Africa?

From what I've read, the traditional sorghum fermentations tend to use lacto - which means you should be getting a strong bacterial contribution - but the end result (esters) of lacto shouldn't necessarily cause clouding that high. I've done lots of lacto fermentations without that problem.

I suspect maybe higher fermentation temps causing high congeners, which probably bled into hearts, or maybe a late cut.

Would love to hear more about traditional techniques.

• @grim I am in South Africa in a small town about 130 km west of Johannesburg. I have done some schnapps (mampoer as we call it) in my column still without any reflux. For fruit they traditionally use wild yeast. I have read a very good phd from Dr Garth Cambray from Rhodes University for mead production. He did a whole study on the cultural fermentation of mead.

• I would love to read that paper on mead if you have a link to it or can refer to where I can get the publication.

• edited May 2016

@RobertS Here is the link to the library of the university. I hope you can access it from here.

African mead biotechnology and indigenous knowledge systems in iQhilika process development @ SEALS

• I can! Thank you very much, @Anro.