Danfoss AVTA Thermostatically Operated Valve

All,

I'm looking to get my hands on one these valves but I have no idea how you are suppose to mount the sensor? It's just a smooth tube with no thread, any clues from those who have used them?

Cheers,

Mech.

EDIT, I found the connections. All good.

Comments

• edited February 2016

Wow they're cool but not cheap.

I wonder if one of these could be re-purposed for the home hack.
    What would happen if the PC outlet was hooked to the cold side and the other side capped? I don't know how the mixing ones adjust but perhaps there's potential there?

What temp range did you go with? Did you look at the FJVA range?

• Many suppliers for this type of item .... Spirax Sarco is one of them. You can mount them in any direction.

• edited February 2016

Talk to @CothermanDistilling - But you'll probably need to make an external housing or other gymnastics if your condenser wasn't designed to accommodate the probe size. Can you find an AVTA cost effectively in your area?

• They are really not that expensive when you see that every one of the German still builders puts them on, and even the Chinese still mfr's that sell complete turn-key stills use them... they are 'industrial quality', and if your condenser is sized right they can keep vapor from exiting the condenser even during power failure...

I built add on chambers for my 2" condenser and my 4"x1 Meter condenser, the ideal way would be to have them inside the condenser, which does not happen until you get to an 8" one, which will be my next condenser.

If you read this thread, Thermostatic Valve Installation on Product Condenser, and others, you will see I got my first one on eBay for $50, and 2 more for $100. you will learn a lot about the part numbers and such.

• My first one was a 2162 like this, but this guy is ridiculous at $440, make him a $100 offer.

My other two were 003N-6162 (2162 is british NPS, the 6162 is US NPT, both are 1/2" valve port with 3/4" sensor, and unless your condenser is drastically undersized, they are fine, the 1/2" fitting is practically the same, the G 3/4" fitting for the capillary tube is a bit tight in a 3/4NPT half coupling.

• I'm sure somebody here in the states will reship for you.

• @TheMechWarrior - show me the condenser you are putting it on...

• edited February 2016

Good thread Coth,

I'm thinking that when you sum up all the other stuff needed to get a AVTA going and score a good price on a second hand one, you might actually be better off just getting a new FJVA.
    Then you can choose the exact spec and Cv value etc.
    They have a tiny bypass built in and no need to rig something up for an external sensor.
    65° max temp setting is still 10° under the lowest possible vapour temp, so set and forget. Happy dayz.
    Is their response time compromised, not having the sensor bulb?
    Was it just an availability thing that you went with the AVTA or do you need it remote to make adjustments on the fly?

• @CothermanDistilling I'll grab a photo next week when I visit the distillery next. This first valve isn't for me, it's for a friend with a 400L copper whisky still with traditional copper whisky condenser.