StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Copper Packing - Deterioration/Corrosion

edited February 2016 in Usage

All,

I just wanted to report back on my latest inspection of my packed column.
It had been sitting idle for quite a few months when I needed to do a few runs recently. I pulled everything down for inspection and noted corroded copper debris sitting on top of my first plate below the packing. It makes perfect sense but I can't say I've ever seen it before, possibly due to rinsing the column before and after runs I may have missed it in the past.

Cheers,

Mech

Comments

• The packing was copper mesh? Corrosion was black or green?

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Amphora copper mesh. From a distance it looked black but up close it may have appeared a very dark green if I bothered to look before I cleaned it all.

There was certainly no shortage of the green crap but the particles of mesh sitting on the top plate looked pretty damning.

• Thats why i stopped stocking it. After the years i used it i no longer think copper mesh is the best material for packing.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2016

I used it for a year or so and never will recommend it. I could rant on about how much I dislike the stuff...

There are better/cheaper packing materials available IMO.

• Hmm, I use a wad of copper scrubbie in the bottom and top as a catalyst. The stuff was just a copper scrubbie from a restaurant store. It is fairly thick fibers. It turns black and I clean it with lemon juice every now and then. Has held up pretty well.

But as still gets bigger, runs get more frequent, had thought of making some small copper tube cut offs as a catalyst. Say 3/8" dia by 3/8" length...

Ideas?

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Yes I also use a plug of copper mesh at the bottom of a packed column but it is intended to be a catalyst and is not being used as packing.

• I still like the amphora stuff. There's other copper stuff I pick up elsewhere that is bordering on useless.
    Throw it in your BOP and top up with water.
    Add a few drops of detergent, a spoon of Cream of Tartar and boil for an hour or two.
    They go in black but come out pink. Just be sure to flush them really well as black scale will all through it.

• @punkin said: i no longer think copper mesh is the best material for packing.

What other materials would be better?

If it aint half off, it aint on sale!

• I found value packs of SS scrubbies at a restaurant supply store. 10 per pack for $6 and they are the nice solid ones. I tore some strands off of one and put them in the defleg to increase efficiency. My packed "column" only holds 8 of the scrubbies as they are pretty big and solid.

• @FloridaCracker , you should post the actual name and possibly UPC number when you find something good.. then google/amazon/eBay let the rest of us in on the deal ;-)

• I don't use anything anymore @Malted but stainless scrubbers and scoria seem to be the most popular. As far as structured mesh goes i do think Amphoras is the best i ever stocked, but the maintenance is heavy on it compared to stainless.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @CothermanDistilling said: FloridaCracker , you should post the actual name and possibly UPC number when you find something good.. then google/amazon/eBay let the rest of us in on the deal ;-)

You got it.

They have a 10 pack or singles. Not sure if they ship or not.

Winco Scouring Sponge @ Central Food Equipment

• @grim said: This stuff looks pretty cool:

Distillation Column Packing / Stainless Steel Ring Mesh @ Alibaba

OH NO! Chinese stainless steel!!! AAAAHHHHHH!! CERTAIN DEATH BY HEAVY METAL POISONING!!!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited February 2016

Just kidding. I use Chinese made SS pot scrubbers that I bought dirt cheap in a restauraunt supply store. Six years on and they still work like a champ in my VM column. No corrosion. A bit of staining/discoloration, but nothing to worry about. They looked like the one in FC's link above. A box of 10 for $8 IIRC.

I do a steam blow on my VM column after every run. Drain the boiler, refill with water, fire it up and let steam blow through the column until 15 minutes past when the last smell of tails is gone.

I use rainwater, so no mineral deposition worries.

I still have a pack of copper mesh I bought from Mile High 6+ years ago sitting untouched in my spare parts box. I'll figure out something to do with it someday...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Kitchen Restock Florida has them for $0.30 each, 10 are $3.00 +$12 UPS, 100 are $30 +$17 UPS

break even point is at about 50 of them over $6/10 locally