StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Making the move to a hybrid - what do I buy?

So I have a 2' pot and VM (1.5m) and I'm looking at making the move to a hybrid. My parts are all tri clamp fittings. I was thinking of getting 1 Torpedo, Big baby dephleg (it will also double as my RC on my VM as my copper coil is crap and I have no more to try a making a new one), and plumbing fittings. I also have 1m of 2" copper i can use instead of the 1.5m. I want to use the torpedo to improve neutral run rates as well as when running as a pot. Do I need a needle valve for water flow control? What else do I need?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• You'll need a needle valve, yes. It may be a handy piece of info for you to know your exit water temp, i've found it very interesting on my stills. The thermotees plug straight in. You'll need a couple of pcm1's in 3/8th for the inlet and outlet and some tube. On my site i have short disconect hoses that fit the dephlag on one side and adapt to 1/2"standard water fittings on the other. You may want a Y piece to split the water tween your product condensor and your reflux condensor. I have two inch TC pipe sections that are 430mm long and have a 3/8th or 1/2"port on each end for temp sensors as well. You'd have to supply your own thermowell for these.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• It seems to me you could run it that way and be just fine. I would personally prefer to have full control of both with two valves as to control the temp of the product output to ensure an acurate abv reading.

• My personal experience with CM stills. When the cooling water goes through the product condenser before going to the dephlegmater. The cooling water entering the dephlegmater will experience a fluctuation in temps. Making it hard to adjust the flow through the dephlegmater. Because its always changing. I've also experienced the two condensers fighting each other. So it makes operating it much easier if you provide the dephlegmater with a steady temp supply of cooling water.

• +1 PP I would say that if the reflux condenser is intended to only be a partial condenser, then independent flow is not as critical. But to get the best possible range for RR and control, you really do want separate water supply,,,,IMHO

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I like having spares, so if you can afford it, grab another needle valve.

• should i be getting a 2nd one for product condenser?

Depends on your pump but if you use a single pump, then when you restrict flow to the RC then pressure has to go somewhere- the PC. If you restrict flow to the PC then the pressure is on the pump. Consequently then you will need a controller for the pump. CM stills are probably the most difficult to operate, and adding another control mechanism complicates the issue. Remember you are going to use water flow to stop the ABV dropping down the run, so you will be making adjustments as you go. This will also involve adjustments to the pump.

Just run the PC flat out.

Rossco

Answers

• If you are planning on running your system as a CM you do need to control water flow to the RC.. Perhaps you'll need a few 2" EZ Flanges for your copper?

• its ganna be a tall one....

Capture.JPG
    237 x 511 - 15K
  • Ok, I have a thermotee already. If you get a Y splitter do you need 2 valves? I thought I could run the water through the condenser then the dephleg in CM mode? In VM mode its already to tall to run inside my house :( Will the big baby be enough to keep a couple of plates going when I start to add more in? I remember reading Tracker couldn't keep fores back with the smaller dephleg?

• Thanks for all the answers. This is what I will order (I already have 6m tubing and thermotee) 1 Y Splitter, 1 x Needle Valve (should i be getting a 2nd one for product condenser?), 2 x Push connect Elbow, 1 x Torpedo, 1 x Big Baby Dephlagmator. Let me know if I've forgotten anything, if not I'll flick an email through to Punkin for ordering

• Parts arrived yesterday from Punkin, 1st run will be this weekend :D I'll try and put up some picture of my gear in Pot, VM and CM setup

• @salientlucidity said: I'll try and put up some picture of my gear in Pot, VM and CM setup

Please do salientlucidity. We love pics!

• VM setup, pulling azeotrope. Next to father inlaws pot. Still wanting to add another plate but think i'll have to trim the tower first

image image image

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 69K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 90K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K
  • Pulling azeotrope and wanting to add another plate??

• @Lloyd said: Pulling azeotrope and wanting to add another plate??

Because he can? :D

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Nuther plate = more speed

• Awesome setup up there @salientlucidity. What have you packed your VM/CM column with?

• edited October 2013

Looks tops mate, i think you have the first SD VM. How does the medium condensor go with reflux? Have you managed to put too much power to it?

How many watts are you running?

KnewItWouldBeABeautyWhenIPackedItPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Its packed with stainless scrubbies. Once i add another plate I'd like to shorten the tower and move to SPP. The reflux condenser runs great, I'm doing a run next weekend so will test to see knock down for you . (it had no problem with 2800 watts - i can go to 5K). Glad i went modular, it's a breeze to set up and pack down.

• @salientlucidity said: , I'm doing a run next weekend so will test to see knock down for you . (it had no problem with 2800 watts - i can go to 5K). Glad i went modular, it's a breeze to set up and pack down.

Looking forward to how much you can throw at it.