StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Blueberry Aue De Vie

edited June 2013 in Recipes

Is it possible? Got a line a 100# of ripe organic BBs. Kind of a subtle flavor but, do you think it would come through?

(could do another batch of the 'cots while they are in season. decisions.

Comments

• BB have such a light amount of flavor to begin with. Not really sure how much would come over. You would probably end up with a vodka type flavor with just hints of berry behind it.... But I would be interested in knowing how it work out.

• You could always add some to the thumper i bet flavor and maybe a little color would come over a bit

OR JUST NUKE EM

• Man, I just love BB, and they are sooo expensive here. Please give it a try, and post progress & results. Pictures welcome! :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @FullySilenced said: You could always add some to the thumper i bet flavor and maybe a little color would come over a bit

OR JUST NUKE EM

I'd be very surpised if you could get colour to come over :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Wasn't sure if any would come over from the thumper or not...

• edited June 2013

A bit of a "green" tasting quality comes over from the thumper. Did not like it at all. Strawberries too.

I'm thinking to back blend with blue berry wine or fortify the wine with spirits or simply nuke/macerate if ya want some proofy blue berry. Just thinking out loud is all.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Blueberry nukins is unbelievably good....

• running apricots tomorrow. will decide if BB or more apricots are in the future... one tyhing on apricots is the the nose is still as strong as pre ferm, looking forward to trying it. I digress.

• edited August 2013

i would certainly be macerating the BBs as i the green flavor i think would be to bitter and you will get a lot more flavor for the money spent on fermenting on berries

you would offcourse get the color too ! ;) which is a great part of this fruit

• @nvnovrts I have been doing a simple infusion with 60% and after a few days I remove the berries cover with a bit of sugar and set aside in fridge overnite, then I add the syrup from the berries back in. I get a lot of flavor and color.

I also do it with peaches, second from right but not with watermelon or kiwi, the two on the left.

infusion.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
  • Nice. I did a pear with 100# of pears, saved some back and put the product back on some fresh pears. Great flavor but the fruit absorbs all the Alc! Added some glycerine and added too much so I am working on a neutral now to "fix" it. I've had really good luck with doing the infusions as well.

• Thats why I start with 60 sometime 70 but I also put some if not most of the fruit back, like eating the worm :-) and top off with 60 as needed to keep proof up.

• That Kiwi fruit has just peaked my interest! You say no sugar or you don't add the sugared fruit juice back to it,also on my to do is Mangos,not much for the fruit drinks,small doses now and again aren't bad,Applepie on the other hand is very good

It is what you make it!

• I do not add sugar or add it back to the kiwi. I leave it as is, not my favorite but not too shabby either others just love it, to each it's own. Now mangoes I have not tried yet but it sure is on the to do list.

• edited November 2013

Blueberries as red wine grapes have their aroma compounds bond to sugar molecules. So the aroma will only become evident after fermentation begins and the yeast produce enzymes which break down these bonds... also you have alot of flavor compounds in the skins.

I would say if you want to increase your yeild dilute with water by 2:1 and compensate with added sugar to about 20 brix. If you were making wine I would say do not dilute as you will be getting a thin wine without much body. but because you mainly care about aromatics, dilute away...

Yeast food is an absulute must with BB or your fermentation will not finish. (there is some compound in BB which makes yeast strugle fermenting it to dryness)

• edited November 2013

@Tomer1 great info, thank you.