StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

IBC Mash Tun

edited January 2016 in General

I want to ramp up my mashing capacity for all grain mashes, I mash with steam injection. I am thinking about cutting the top off of a tote to mash in. That will enable me to dispense of spent grain and clean after fermentation. So my question is, will the IBC withstand 200 degree + working temps?

Comments

• I did a little digging and I'm seeing higher hundreds is safe, possibility of serious deformation after 200F and melting at 260F. Edit: I'm also seeing 230F is ok and the cage should keep things from going to squirrelly. So I guess ass long as you're not blasting the side wall with steam you should be ok

• I have white and black ones, and they get pretty soft when filled with 160F RC water...

give it a shot, be safe and have spill control in case something happens... worst case, you have a spent grain tote for your farmer (use totes that have horizontal bars, the ones with vertical only will not work)...

• Does the plastic give off any vapours once heated that could be detrimental to your flavour in the mash?? Like water left in plastic bottle in sun type of flavour?? Melting at 260F doesn't seem much of a safety margin.

• A lot of the newer style Schutz totes have 3 or 6 layer walls compared to the old single layer hdpe. That may have an impact on heat resistance too.

• edited January 2016

This is the new 6 layer in Aust an Eu - not sure about US?

image.jpg
    508 x 290 - 19K
  • edited January 2016

You are going to sacrifice the cage and bottle for each run?

Talked to a local brewer that works with lots of local farmers, his recommendation was to make the farmer provide their own containers. Otherwise, you'll never get yours back, or if you do, they'll be completely destroyed. Folks tend to treat the stuff that they had to pay for a little bit better. Thought that was an interesting insight. His container of choice is a Rubbermaid style garbage can, as 2 people can usually lift them up onto a pickup with a bit of effort (no forklift), you can pull them around, etc. They are easy to clean, and when not filled will nest together and not take up too much floor space. Pretty cheap too.

Keeping the grain in an open top container is going to invite flies, you'll want some kind of cover/lid. We've had plenty of missed grain pickups, "oops, sorry, forgot, too busy, can't do it, can you drop it off?" which result in grain sitting a couple of days and then going into the dumpster.

Our batch sizes (we are grain-in) are 450 pounds per 1000 liters, and the drained grain fits in (roughly) 5 20 gallon lock top HDPE drums. They still require a two man lift/dump, although if you were a powerlifter you would probably have no problem throwing these around all day (maybe 140-150 pounds each). If you wanted to use these just to haul waste, you can absolutely fit more than a single mash worth of grain into an empty IBC, at least 2, maybe 3, and should still be under 1.5 ton, so a little forklift could move a full tote around. If we could get our grain drier, we'd absolutely use those plastic farm/produce bins.

For mashing, I'd be concerned that it would turn into a floppy noodle, not just because of the heat (though you only need 190-195F), but because once you cut the top, you are going to lose most of the upper half structural integrity. Pretty sure at temp, the top of this is going to want to be a circle, not a square.

• @grim said: Pretty sure at temp, the top of this is going to want to be a circle, not a square.

I was thinking of that 'want to be a circle' thing when I saw this idea I came across on Facebook for my cooling water tank ;-)

container pool.jpg
    800 x 600 - 117K
  • Livestock in my neck of the woods are all gourmands, they don't want to eat spent grain.

• Try giving them grains after they have been used in a ferment.

Actually, don't do that. :(

• Stainless IBC? Seen them used as boilers so am sure they could be mash tuns also.

• yep...

Heating & Cooling IBC's @ Custom Metalcraft Inc.

talked about 3 years ago right here...

• @myles, I was referring to a plastic IBC

• Yes I know, just trying to think of alternatives. I know from my own trials with HDPE 160 litre drums that when you take the top out it seriously compromises the structural integrity when it gets hot.

By the time you have bought, cut and reinforced an IBC, it might be cheaper to just have a tank welded up to your requirements. And as has been mentioned you need to think of how you are going to manhandle whatever you use.

• Do you have to take off the entire top?

• edited January 2016

Why not use something else as the mash tun, then just pump into an uncut ibc to dispose of the waste? I mean, you have to pump out and pump back anyhow, it's not like the workflow is simplified because you are using the same container.

• I'm planning on using an old milk tank instead. Every once in a while, there's a good one coming up on eBay. The only thing you have to add is a mash screen and you're good to go

• there are professionals using far less appetizing tanks than us! friends just went to New Orleans and showed me pics of a tour they went on... 20 year old rum they said was from barrels that made it through katrina, it had lots of heads IMHO..

tour guide bob songy leads old new orleans rum tour @ The FlipKey Blog

if you want more pics that will open your eyes, Google showed a good thread on AD, search for: Celebration Distillery tour

• edited January 2016

In my area (around Seattle), plastic tanks would not save very much money, if at all... I regularly find large SS vessels on Craigslist for $300 to $600. Best I can figure is that the recent low scrap prices on stainless have greatly reduced the resale value for previously owned tanks.

I am currently sitting on a SS IBC tote, two double wall milk tanks, and two brand new 300 gallon SS conical fermenters. The total cost for those 5 tanks was under $2,000.

Granted, if you need a mash tun yesterday then Craigslist might not be a good choice. Otherwise I would practice patience and find a local stainless tank for <$500.

• Shit if you find anymore of those new conicals pm me please

• Ditto. Prolly worth even when shipping to me

• edited January 2016

I sent a request to the seller for the contact information of the builder. If he forwards it to me then I will share it with the boards.

These were custom built to spec. The shop is located in Longview, Wa. I spent $500 each and fit two in the back of my pickup truck when I picked them up.

image.jpg
    531 x 800 - 55K
  • Good looking vessels. But if you fit 2 in your pick up,,,,,there going to be small for cooking or fermenting if you have any demand at all.

800 plus gallons of beer needed to fill 1 barrel

Perfect for holding finished product.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• They are too small for a startup @ 300 gallons IMO. The person I bought them from had them custom built to his specs for hobby use (distilling) but his wife told him to get a different hobby.

The dimensions are 3' 4" wide by 7' tall. I didn't really need or want them at the time but for $500 I couldn't let them go. However, the seller has not yet replied to my inquiry about the manufacture information... I'll send it via PM if/when it becomes available to me.

• Ah they're bigger than I thought.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2016

nice fermenters

I'm more like I am now than I was before.