Wanted: Bitters Recipes

edited June 2013 in Recipes

Hi guys,

Many cocktails call for bitters. Around here, Angostura is about all you can find, but searching online made me realise that there are quite a few artisan/boutique makers. Often featuring signature flavours. I'd like to have a crack at making some myself, but dunno where to start...

So here is your chance to share your creations / discoveries or family treasures with not just me but the rest of the SD family who as you know are a bunch of like minded folk who you know will appreciate it :x

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2013

Great idea @crozdog! I think I'd like to have a crack at this too. I have had a wee search and it seems like an easy process, macerate spices and herbs in high proof alcohol for a few weeks, strain out solids and your done. I found these for instance but there were sites with lists of other herbs and I'd say you could happily mix and match anything to make your own:

Cocoa Bitters

1 teaspoon cacao nibs
    1/4 teaspoon sarsaparilla
    1/4 teaspoon orange peel
    1/4 teaspoon wild cherry bark
    1 allspice berry
    1 inch length of cinnamon stick
    1/2 cup rum

Turkey Day Bitters

2 inches fresh rosemary
    2 inches fresh sage
    1/4 teaspoon pink peppercorn
    1/4 teaspoon gentain root
    1/4 teaspoon juniper berries
    150 mL vodka

Rachel’s Bitters

3 allspice berries
    1 star anise
    1/4 teaspoon each pink peppercorn, gentain root, wild cherry bark, lemon peel, sarsaparilla
    150 mL vodka

Check out this page for a list of possible ingredients and some recipes as well:
    How to make your own bitters - Drink Dogma

It is hard to find these sorts of ingredients here in Whakatane but I have my sister coming down from Auckland soon so I might see if she can pick some items up before she leaves.

I have a bottle of Rum essence that someone bought me to use with my neutral although it really isn't good (you get what you pay for and this was cheap) but maybe I can use it up in some bitters?

I'll post any results of course!

Damo.

• Thanks for the links Damo and Chill this will be good to try once the cold winds of the north are on us,now there is not enough time in a day to get stuff done! X_X

It is what you make it!

• The book Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons is a great source of homemade bitters recipes and history of bitters

• @scottyh said: The book Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons is a great source of homemade bitters recipes and history of bitters

Thanks! just ordered for my library :)>-

It is what you make it!

• edited July 2013

Just found a great resource for those looking to do Gin in Australia..

Melbourne Food Depot - Bitters Ingredients

Seems good price wise and a large variety. They have a good range of other products too.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand