StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

California Trip early January 2016 (4th-10th)

All,

I'll be in California for a meeting on Sat 9th and Sun 10th.
I'll be arriving Monday 4th nice and early in the morning.

Monday 4th - Friday 8th I'm free and keen to visit as many distilleries as possible in that time.

Suggestions/Invitations for places to visit welcomed. My passions are gin and botanicals.

Cheers,

George Burgess

Devonport Distillery
www.devonportdistillery.com.au

Comments

• Cali is a big state. Where about George?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I'll be in Laurel Canyon, near LA. But have car, will travel.

• @TheMechWarrior When your there in Laurel Canyon, take 5 north to 14 then north on 14 to 395 go north a little bit and your at Rockchucker's house PM him first... enjoy the drive =D>

FS

• edited December 2015

To bad you couldn't be there in April for the ADI conference in San Diego. Coulda got you in as part of our vender group. You would have been able to meet hundreds of distillers and sampled dozens upon dozens of spirits.

• @FullySilenced Thanks FS.
    @Smaug, I may be able to return for the ADI.

I'm looking at a mid Feb product launch so I'm expecting to be insanely busy.
    But...I really wanted to go to the ADI as well. I'll keep it in my calendar.

Cheers,

George.

• Come down to San Diego if you wish, it's a little bit of journey from there though. We have 8 functioning distilleries all fairly close together. The 3 I work with all have gins. I'd be happy to host, hell we could even run some gin if you wanted. There are a couple of others with gin around including Ballast Point Spirits that also have an herbal liqueur and some nice vendomes to look at... not to mention having a sweet brewery. Oh yeah we have a few breweries haha. I have a friend that works at Green Bar Distilling in LA too. They have a gin that I admittedly haven't tried.

• Got news for you Luke,,,,,we're all coming to your place to pesh on the toilet seat :)

• @TheMechWarrior go south to Kill Devil's place and visit all the distilleries ... maybe he can get you much further inside than the normal guest and maybe learn or see a few special tricks that could save your butt at some point. regardless have a great trip..

FS

Depending on traffic LA to San Diego is about 2.5 hours. About another half hour to tequila land...

• I plan to be there in April mate

• Whichever or both works for you... And as fs mentioned, yes I do have a little pull haha. Everyone here is quite friendly and enjoy talking shop, it's more fun that way

• IF your flying in to LAX... just get the car and go south to San Diego .. your a lot closer than Laurel Canyon at that point...

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: See y'all in April?!?

Yep

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Its whiskey rather than gin but if you are in SF I would be dead keen to try Seven Stills gear. They are doing some interesting marketing and making unusual product. I am there in June/July and plan to visit them plus if I can get to SD the guys at San Diego Distillery are very friendly and helpful.

• @yurgle... hopefully trent has his tasting room finished by then haha. If you are there you might as well come visit KD and Liberty Call, we share a wall with trent and liberty call is literally right across the street. They too have a great whiskey, while I'm currently in the process of micro barreling for KD r&d whiskies. It's a nice little stillin' community

• Sounds like a like a great opportunity to kill 3 birds with one stone @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co - cheers for the heads up and the offer

• heck 10 minutes up the road is Twisted Manzanita. Jake makes a great Rye (70/30) and has some other barreled goods for the tasting room. East County really is a cool little scene unto itself, everyone else is pretty spread out and keeps to themselves... ok back to my single malt run

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co I was told about a SD distillery making rum using International Molasses's / Malt Products Co.....

Organic Evaporated Cane Juice////// is that you by any chance?

• We use a caravienne from Franco-Belges maltery from Belgium in our moonshine and coffee shine, no secrets there. It tastes lovely; warm and caramelly, not so grainy when lautered All current products for KD (shines, vodka, gin) are cane based. No molasses, we don't even even have a rum out yet :( The shines have that particular malt cos I love the flavours it brings to the table. This organic evaporated cane juice nonsense is just an industry standard name for organic cane sugar, literally to pretty up the name "white sugar". Stupid sales ploys people come up with that unfortunately I don't get a say in. I'm sure that and other ridiculous things are still up on the website, I honestly just focus on designing spirits. Rum and whiskey on the way.

• White?

• Regular cane sugar as opposed to brown, sorry kinda over simplified there

• Right, I got that. I was just surprised is all.

• Apparently the oecj name is used often in the sugar industry. Frankly I'd never heard of it until talking with one particular company. I'm not a fan of BS so if asked I say all our products are cane based with malt additions. Pretty simple

• edited December 2015

I get 50# bags of evaporated cane juice here for $18. It's just squoze and dried. It is not white sugar. (I guess it's organic. Sugar molecules have carbon atoms in them). Makes a nice gin base spirit.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited December 2015

When I think cane I think rum (or the like).

When I think white sugar,, I think not rum.

No snobbery intended.

• Thinking of giving this a try
    the home company website

Did research is not refined, and not processed with heat... is cane juice vacuum dried, the only thing gone is the water i guess..

I read about it on the NON GMO sites they went more into the processing than Zulka did in their story...

Panella cost for me is over a dollar a pound unless i buy a ton... but this one is 62 cents a pound available locally.

• Zulka sugar, just bought 24 pounds of it for a 15 gallon ferment.. a light rum... we shall see how it goes

• Has a great taste... veryugh like fresh cane juice. Is fairly coarse crystals

• I saw that brand in a grocery store. Where did you buy it and how much?