StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Comments

• Hell, I'd try his product and keep an open mind. And I don't know what sheep piss tastes like.

• How would you do this on a small scale. Add wood and whiskey to a pressurised container. Anyone know of a simple way to DIY a pressurized container?

• keg and a endcap?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• KidKid
    edited December 2015

Do you think you could use one of those hand pump / vacuum style marinators?

FoodSaver Quick Marinator @ Amazon

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Isn't this the same concept as nuclear aging only a different way of achieving it? Microwave in a half filled preserving jar and then put the lid on and allow to cool. This creates a vacuum/pressure. I know it drags the colour out of the dominoes that's for sure.

• edited December 2015

@Higgo That was my original thought... re nuking read the first post in the nuking thread... you will see what i wrote...

they use more vacuum and more pressure and pulse it repeatedly the best i can tell...

There are a couple other video's of Cleveland's operation out there that are good to look at...

I found and saw the first one a few months after i posted the Nuclear thread...

Happy Stillin

FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtdg2u1YSkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYiZ7U48oM

2:15 to 9:00 minutes you can hear the pulsing noises big time...

My Ohio: Local bourbon maker Cleveland Whiskey 'ages' liquor faster with unique high-tech process

you can see the equipment pulsing in the background..

Hot in Cleveland: Whiskey and Cereal

LOL its a fun one

• If you take the air out and use a pure hydraulic pulse you can run extreme pressure and vacuum in rapid cycles...

• edited December 2015

@Higgo said: Microwave in a half filled preserving jar and then put the lid on and allow to cool. This creates a vacuum/pressure. I know it drags the colour out of the dominoes that's for sure.

This was by far the best approach for me. I would seal the jar hot, and put it in the freezer until it dropped to freezing, then right back into the microwave. You would literally force the spirit in and out of the pores of the wood. On the second heat cycle you could see the darker color spirit jetting out of the pores of the wood.

• edited December 2015

@grim That's what i Found when i first starting playing with it.... I thought it was spectacular and was amazed no one was doing it... and how much crap i got when i posted it for the first time... everyone said [-X you gonna 8-X but that's not how it goes or how it went then...

The amazing thing is posting it on 6 forums has moved it around to home distillers worldwide...

• @grim Ive never tried the freezer trick but sounds like a good idea! I've done some nuclear aging tonight to get a feel for how my first CFW/Rye is gunna turn out. It's had three runs in the microwave cooling to almost room temp each time and is now airing with just a sheet of kitchen towel for 24 hours. Looking forward to a glass tomorrow night. @FullySilenced some awesome videos there bud thanks for the links! How long do you guys microwave for? Say 750ml in a standard microwave ....

• Cracking the lid of the mason jar and hearing the pop to release the vacuum, post-freeze, is particularly enjoyable.

• edited December 2015

@higgo Each MIcrowave is different. . Run it for 1.5 minutes check the temp and run it more till you know approximately how much time your unit will require to get the temperature up to 150f.. please refer to the first post in the nuclear thread in the ageing section.

• edited December 2015

@higgo, here is a link to the HD 28 page nuke thread if you wanna read

There is a much smaller one here i think....

• Please don't blow yourself up.

• edited December 2015

:D seems i have heard that crap before :)) and i thought we were past that by now...

• edited December 2015

The possibilty is still there just because it hasn't eventuated (and probably won't). Experience has proven it to be safe, not without risk.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• When I nuke mine, I always cover the top with aluminum foil to keep the alcohol from evaporating. Sparks like hell but it works.

Actually, no. Please don't take that seriously.

• I have had that Whiskey before, it was long ago but i can remember not wanting to buy it again. Not the worst drink in the world but not worth buying with all the other good stuff on the shelf.