StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Grain Guard

edited October 2015 in General

I really hate to patronize these bozos... but this seems like an interesting idea.

I like to make gin by macerating and then chucking everything in the boiler... this seems like an option (possibly?) to do that and still use an electric element. Has anyone used one of these? Does the screen get clogged with the herbs? Are there any alternatives so i dont have to buy from 'those guys'??

Thanks!
Jasper

Tagged:

Comments

• the idea is sound, but obviously you cannot use as much power as with a clean wash.... if the screen slows down liquid re-entering(it will) after the wash in the screen tube boils(it will), you will scorch the wash

I still like the idea of a finned tube filled with oil that you put the element in that has a 250F or so limit... but by then, you almost have the effort of going to some sort of bain-marie with agitator into your rig..

• I don't think this would work well for grain in anything much over 1500w in a 220v ULWD element. Grain that is smaller than the mesh size will still get through.

But botanicals depending on what they are are a different story. Juniper mostly floats I think and others are less prone to scorching. Some will sink to the bottom below the elements too.

• Looks like an oversized triclamp sock screen. I can't imagine it would work for a grain mash.

• Thanks guys - I am probably just going to stop being cheap and get the gb4

• You will not be disappointed.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited October 2015

There is still a reason for maceration vs vapour extraction.

Why not suspend your botanicals for maceration in a mesh bag? A higher quality food grade/organic cheese cloth. Or even a stainless mesh bag. Depending on your scale, a very large tea strainer. I've seen some stainless tea balls as large as 4 or 6 inches. You could suspend and then remove prior to distillation, or if your botanicals are larger and dense enough, perhaps distill with them in the infuser.

I'm in the states, but this 4" guy came up pretty quick on Amazon for $10usd, pretty cheap. Would be nice for small batch sizes in conjunction with the carter.

41TJkdB9rbL.jpg
    300 x 300 - 15K
  • I use those for keg hopping sometimes when i'm not using a calico bag. They are ok for small amounts.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You can get stainless steel mesh bags on amazon as well that look quite large. They could be useful for gin or any kind of infusions.

• edited November 2015

WTF?
    "You can only get this item here at Hillbilly Stills" What liars! I have bought these a yr ago so I could run 22" long SS 6kw straight elements in them to cook corn under my false bottom in 55gal stainless drums. Unfortunately I found unless you sieve out the fines from the corn the powder still gets thru and burns on the element Even when ran on 110vac (1250w) Anyway if anyone wants these I can post the real manufacture...