StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Mouthfeel Thread

This thread could go two ways. This will be the "G" rated one.

Just had an awakening this past weekend on how a silky smooth spirit kicks a thin, burning spirit in the sack. A lot of theories out there on how to get a drink with a nice mouthfeel. What ideas do you have or better yet, what have you tried that has worked. I am convinced that it would be hard as hell to get it done in the mash/wash phase and that it would have to be done after distillation ala glycerin, backsweetening, etc.

As always, all comments, theories and general ideas are encouraged.

Mouthfeel, how is it done?
  1. Can it be done in the wash or mash, pre distillation?5 votes
    1. No way. After distillation
      40.00%
    2. Of course, you noob
      60.00%
Tagged:

Comments

• IMO, deeper liquid beds on the plates have a smoothing effect. By that I mean they can smooth out the alcohol bite. And time spent in the barrel.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I also think aging/time is very important given that you made good cuts.

• Try a drop of corn oil in your whiskey

• Being that a lot of spirits are drunk with mixers, mouthfeel is not nearly as relevant with spirits as it is with beer and wine.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: Being that a lot of spirits are drunk with mixers, mouthfeel is not nearly as relevant with spirits as it is with beer and wine.

True. Most spirits in the 40abv range just ain't drinkable without a mixer. I am striving to make my spirits the exception and be enjoyable either neat or on ice. I have made them drinkable but they seem "thin" and without the creaminess that I am looking for.

• edited August 2015

What about by type? I like my whiskies to have a thicker mouth feel, but a thick mouthfeel with heavy botanical gin seems like a horrible punishment. Would prefer that to be thin, clean.

• Try a few drops of glycerin ... dosen't take much to change the mouth feel ...

• @FullySilenced said: Try a few drops of glycerin ... dosen't take much to change the mouth feel ...

Per glass? Liter? Shot?

• @grim said: What about by type? I like my whiskies to have a thicker mouth feel, but a thick mouthfeel with heavy botanical gin seems like a horrible punishment. Would prefer that to be thin, clean.

Mostly rum but whiskey too

• I've heard of boiling potatoes and using the water you used to boil them in the mash. Supposly adds some real difference to mouth feel always wanted to try never have

• @popcorn said: I've heard of boiling potatoes and using the water you used to boil them in the mash. Supposly adds some real difference to mouth feel always wanted to try never have

I have tried it........Meh,,,,IMO.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Good to know ,then I won't be making any mashed potatoes then

• @popcorn said: I've heard of boiling potatoes and using the water you used to boil them in the mash. Supposly adds some real difference to mouth feel always wanted to try never have

I had read that before as well but haven't tried it. Smaug once again with an answer.

meh

• edited August 2015

Very seldom I mix spirits. Work so hard to get it right, then hide it in some fruit juice or some shit?

I do add a small splash of water to open up my whiskey. No ice. Michael Jackson showed me that (not the one with the glove)

My gin I keep in the freezer and pour it straight. Fucking awesome! I really enjoy tasting all of the different botanicals in there. Sometimes if I get a wild hair I whisper "vermouth" over my martini glass, but even that is usually too much vermouth.

I have a friend who mists the martini glass with vermouth in a atomizer before pouring the gin in. I accuse her of bring heavy-handed with the vermouth...

• back in the dark ages when I was experimenting with essences I used to add about 10ml glycerine to a 2.5l batch.

It did make a difference, but have not tried doing it again since making decent TPW, molasses, UJ & AG wash.

Might have to try it again - then again it might make my Mrs drink more & I have enough hassle keeping up the supply as it is. grin

• @grim said: Try a drop of corn oil in your whiskey

How about some high quality coconut oil in your rum?
    Might be a good defoaming agent in the boiler too?

• I can't remember where it was, but there was a discussion about single grain vodka's and the different mouth feel between the grains.

• edited August 2015

Adding glycerin to a neutral/coffee Kahlua clone recipe makes a definite improvement in the liqueur's mouthfeel. I make several gallons of it every year to hand out as gifts at Christmas time. My friends go apeshit for it.

Kahlua clone recipe @ AD

two tweaks I make to this recipe:
    I use 80% neutral and homegrown coffee beans

This year I'm going to play around with making a coffee infused base spirit for the Kahlua by putting coffee beans in my gin basket.

I would never dream of making it with instant coffee :-&