StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Cuts on an All Feints Run?

13»

Comments

• Ok what he said ^^^^^^^^^^ It's definitely fire lighting fluid or lawnmower fuel so save your time or buy one of those fancy decorative metho fireplaces a nice rug and set the mood for the ladies.

• @Johnboy So the feints myth is busted for sure? People will still try though. But I think if you couldn't do it on that tower of yours, then its a waste of time, energy and effort. Excellent experiment anyway, did it clean the column out?

• Spotless and cip plum wrong made for a painless rinse out

• Spotless and cip plumbing made for a painless rinse out

• I agree with @Smaug; the more you get originally, the less there is to recover in a feints run. I can see with a potstill getting something the second time. Guess I had to try it for myself.

• This was quite an interesting read. Always heard of saving your feints for an all feints run, which is supposed to produce a very distinct product. If it is not worth your while to do a feints run, what is the recoveries that is obtained from an average run? How much hearts are collected for a column still? I have seen values of 30 to 40 % of the alcohol that is recovered as hearts with a pot still. I expect it would be more for a column still.

• IMO an all feints run on a column is not worth the effort. The column does an excellent job of squeezing. The resulting feints are very concentrated. So much so that I'd need many more plates to render a a decent product...unless the previous runs are intended to be run with absolute minimal reflux.

Pot still is a totally different kind of feints in that regard and re distills very well.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• +1 on what he said. I saved heads and tails from my 4 plate still and did an all feints run. Nothing worth a shit came out. The more efficient the original run the less there is to save and that's why I toss everything except what goes in the barrel.

Technology. Ain't it grand?

• edited May 2016

@Smaug said: Pot still is a totally different kind of feints in that regard and re distills very well.

I can attest to that.
    Best product I ever made was an all feints run on a column using feints from many many pot stilled rum runs.

• This is exactly what I was looking for. I just got my plated still operational, ran a few batches of UJSSM through, and was wondering what to do with feints. Cleaning, weed killer, fire starter and down the drain they will go!

• We all need to invest in alcohol fireplaces.

• If you ever have fruitflies (Drosophila Melanogaster) bothering your brewing, cidering, or distilling, save your high-ABV fores and heads in a spray bottle. Mist 'em in mid-air and they're desicated by the time they hit the floor, and if a drop gets in your product, no harm done.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Works even better if you hold up a lighter at the save time.

I have a black fridge the same as yours Johnboy. Although mine doesnt keep things cold , it does keep cool stuff ;) Cheers Richy

• @jacksonbrown said: Works even better if you hold up a lighter at the save time.

I'd only want to try that sober; it could devolve. lol

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Love the old still relegated to history up the back on the shelf. Quite an upgrade.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• We run pots without plates for most things, we use use the column only for vodkas and GNS. GNS primarily comes from feints.

I've been saving heads and tails separately, doing feint runs when full. Tails from tails have been recycled endlessly without feeling like they're building up. Hearts from both make bases for flavored spirits, I'd say we recover about half the alcohol in usable form. Heads from heads I've been calling super heads and haven't done anything with them yet. Will let you know how much I wring out.

• I added feints for a stripping run yesterday, worked well, not! I ended up with twice as much heads as I usually expect to, lesson learned! From now on I'll only add feints for stripping runs.

• edited October 2016

Unless you are making cuts during the stripping run, adding feints just adds time and uses more energy. Add it to your spirit run.

If you don't like the result of all-feints, just use late heads and early tails instead.