Rye Available For Australian Brewers

Ask your HBS, i just got this advice from Bintani in their newsletter. We have been looking for flaked Rye in Australia for a long time and looks like it's finally here.

Blue Lake Milling - Machine Dressed and Rolled Rye Blue Lake Milling now has a machine dressed rye. This rye has been through a process where the protective outer husk of the grain has been removed. This makes is possible to mill and be used as an adjunct. The rolled rye has been de-husked, steamed and then rolled into flat flakes. The starch undergoes a pre-gelatinisation stage making it accessible for enzymes to liquefy and saccharify the starch in the mash.

Actually i just had a look and they have some great products i didn't know about including machine dressed Triticale.

Grain Collection | Triticale @ BLM

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• So Bintani are the suppliers/distributors for this range?

• edited July 2015

Thet are advertising the flaked rye in their newsletter. They distribute Blue lakes malts so i assume they can get whatever is needed, especially in the quantities you are talking about.

You may be able to buy direct from the maltster too.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• noice! be good if they added flaked corn to their line up as well. would make the ag bourbon easier for most (compared to cooking) not to mention cheaper than using imported breiss flaked maize

• Flaked corn, Hell yeah!

• edited July 2015

Try Bakery suppliers.
    Kibbled rye is cracked grain. In 25 kg paper bags. Suitable for mashing.
    Speciality Grain Collection @ Allied Mills

HTH

• flaked corn is used as horse food too - we buy it as "horse muesli"

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• micronised corn is available, I think that's pretty close?

• edited July 2015

No grain expert, but as I understand it, flaking and micronizing are different processes.

Traditional flaked grains are steam rolled. First steamed and then passed through a roller with a predetermined gap, for those who used the brewers adjuncts before, if you see the flattened grains, this is likely the process. Like @punkin mentions above.

Micronized I thought, was ground and then heated/baked/broiled to gelatinize.

• Yes you can get micronised feed grade, but that's not suitable in a commercial environment. I never had any luck using it in some experiments with malt and enzymes, it would still need cooking despite the theory. There's a few different brands and they are mostly in race horse feed and a little more exe.

I bet if commercial interest was shown for malted or flaked corn they would be interested.

• I agree with punkin. I tried the Hygain micronized corn, but found I needed cooking / enzymes to get the most from it.

using Breiss flaked now. not cheap.

good link @harry. wonder how the rye &/or maize flour would go if cooked with enzymes?

• Like Sex on a Stick...

• Just ordered 5lbs of cracked rye to add to my 7th generation of UJ. Will also add about 5 lbs of cracked malted barley. Since this isn't an AG, I wonder if adding the rye and barley without bringing them up to temp will add any appreciable flavor. Since it is a relatively small amount, it would be no problem to heat them up. Thoughts? My fermenting tank holds about 26 gallons of wash and is probably about 30% by volume of cracked corn. I will remove the equivalent amount of corn to make room for the rye/barley. Going to run out the 6th generation over the next couple of days.

• Yes it makes a difference. My mate gets rye malt and pale ale malt off me by the bag to add to his UJSM, i have added both before and showed him and he does it every time. No mash.

• Well, that makes it easier. Just dump 'em in.

• About ten years I was getting it from somewhere near Lygon st.
    I've lost the contact in my phone but it might have been these guys. The shop doesn't look familiar but the name rings a bell.

In looking for that I also found this which might be of use.

• Gelatinized and saccharify on your kitchen stove at those volumes. Stockpot, flood your sink to cool, add it to the wash.

• Thanks Grim. Any special temps or just the normal AG temps?

• Only special instruction is to do it when your wife isn't home.