StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Is anyone else running a Baby Dragon getting tar buildup on the glass during a long slow run?

edited July 2015 in Usage

This is the Third time I have had tar buildup on the glass. it doesn't effect taste, wash was clear going in. no scorching on element after. I run a cleaning run after 3 or 4 washes, but it has appeared on first run after clean so don't think its a dirty still issue. Running still at about 89% alcohol, with my element just holding at the 86-88 F. never get above 90 F. unless i am pushing a strip run on the end of tails. The wash in question is not from a stripped run, It is a straight wash. I clean after tails go through the still cause i can't stand the smell of wet socks. Is anyone else having this issue. Is it normal? Am i overreacting? Pictures to follow shortly.

Comments

• edited July 2015

It mostly appears on first and second section

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 56K
  • It's normal - my bet would be, that on SS stills it would also be, but it isn't that obvious.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Yeah, is evident on all stills, but glass is more.obvious, like your car wind screen.

• Gotta admit that does look nasty. One way to look at it is that the shit on the side of the glass didn't end up in your drink. Have you tried to analyze it? Smell, #coughtaste?

• drain your hot backset and pour it back down the column while hot... then water... then you can let it sit...

• Never seen anything like that in mine, but I run mostly TPW and dont use the baby dragon for strip runs. Also switch off before the tails start.

• from a watermelon brandy, but has happened with my potato vodka as well. no tails on this run, and it was a straight batch no strip. Examined element, and no scorching. Just think it's organic tar. I have run over 70 runs on the baby dragon and this is the thickest I have seen it. It has appeared maybe 5 or 6 times , but never this heavy.

• edited June 2015

Copper oxide redeposited on the glass off the plates perhaps?

• edited June 2015

I get this deposit quite often when making rum it forms from the reflux pool on the top plate. A vodka run with your packed section will send it back to the boiler, it dissolves in AZ. I agree with sunshine, think its there on most rigs but obvious on glass.

• edited June 2015

Sugars perhaps? Anyone care to scrape it down and taste it?

• I get it on my rum washes in my 4" Crystal Dragon, just thought it has something to do with the mollasses. Never happens on a TPW wash though. I always take mine apart and wash everything in hot soapy water after each run, except when doing consecutive rum washes. I gotta strip the column down for storage anyway between uses. The CD section comes apart easily by removing 6 nuts, easy to clean and put back together. Just gotta be careful not to chip the glass.

• I am the most clumsy person in the world, but even when I chipped the glasses, I have to say, I never managed to brake one.

True: the tar never comes up with TPW.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area