StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Perfect Keg Boiler

Comments

• edited September 2013

Just got my converted keg back from the welder. Tipped upside down, cut the lip off, chucked 4" top connection with 2" fill/sight port, 2 x 2" element ports, bottom drain from the old top connection, added solid legs with adjustable feet. Now its all done, but run out of time to use some of my new Still Dragon gear...stripping first then proper runs with a hybrid and extra 4" copper packing sections. A few pics naked and with 2 x 3600 w elements and my controller in a old pc power supply. Fadge

image image image image image image image image image

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
    8.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K
    9.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 71K
  • edited September 2013

Great stuff fadge. I love how you say 'chucked a 4" ferulle on it" :))

The legs look fantastic, you may have to rethink the tap though. The jumper valves can get stuck without pressure behind them, that's why they aren't usually used on tanks. It may be ok if it has a plastic washer in it. A ballvalve may serve you better.

A great looking unit and has everything. You could use a lens on the fill port and it would double as a sight port.

Looks like the rocket off Mr Squiggle.

upsidedown1.jpg
    276 x 183 - 13K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin The tap was only what I had in spares in my junk box, cause where I'm from there is sweet f#@k all open on weekends, and you'd be shocked to know how its actually connected. My keg had a 32mm brazed thread in the original top ferrule, so now its the drain port.. so down to the local hardware/garden joint....A PLASTIC 32mm elbow into a PLASTIC reducer into a old threaded tap/pipe combo. ( 2 runs today without leaking!) and that tap gets bloody hot, so a decent one is needed as you say. Will grab stainless or brass parts Monday to replace them. And I did throw a sight glass on the fill port, just the clamp type setup however.

Fadge

• The clamp and lens setup is what I use too on the fill port.
    Cheap and simple; just like me :)

• Fadge I gotta say really nice boiler! I have been wanting to go electric for a while. I have all the parts to build my controller. I was originally gonna put it in a ammo box then changed to a meter base then to a computer case and then to a five gal bucket. All was going to be camouflaged where you would not be able to tell what it was except the ammo case. Your power supply is real nice. I got several extra. Maybe I will do that???? I assume that you are running 1 3500 at 100% and 1 on the controller???? Wheat is your heat up time on a 10-11 stripping run? What is your incoming voltage ?

• I may order a few of the screw on lenses when i make my next order so i can offer those for sightglasses on boilers. Looking good indeed Fadge.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: I may order a few of the screw on lenses when i make my next order so i can offer those for sightglasses on boilers. Looking good indeed Fadge.

@smaug should order a couple too ;-)

• Great looking boiler Fadge, and a compact little controller to boot. Top stuff! Sheesh - Mr. Squiggle brings back the memories Punkin - Hurry up, Hurry up....

• edited September 2013

@applepie said: Fadge I gotta say really nice boiler! I have been wanting to go electric for a while. I have all the parts to build my controller. I was originally gonna put it in a ammo box then changed to a meter base then to a computer case and then to a five gal bucket. All was going to be camouflaged where you would not be able to tell what it was except the ammo case. Your power supply is real nice. I got several extra. Maybe I will do that???? I assume that you are running 1 3500 at 100% and 1 on the controller???? Wheat is your heat up time on a 10-11 stripping run? What is your incoming voltage ?

Hi, being in Aussie land down-under we use 240v @ 10amp power sockets for almost everything. Some homes may have a few heavy duty 15amp sockets or even 3phase for air cons etc( I do- but did not use 3 phase for my setup at this stage)

Running 2 x 3600w is 15amp each on separate wired 15 amp heavy duty circuits let me heat up 40-45lt in roughly 30-40mins, then run 1 x 3600w to strip I reckon maybe 2hrs or so, I did 2 runs starting at 12:30pm and all washed and cleaned up before 6:30pm and cooked a barbeque during that time!

I only tested the controller during the first run, did not need it as the condenser was struggling to keep the output cool when pushing it over 5000w in my current setup.

Was a happy bloke with a 2 x 50lt whiskey wash stripped, (18-20lt) 2nd gen firing up, my VIRGIN first run on new Still Dragon gear- EXCEPTIONAL.

But thinking I need more storage for strips as looks like by the time I get to 5th gen will be roughly 100lt to chuck in the 3-4 plate to run.

Next boiler will have a 4" fill port as well, 2" is OK, but funnels, buckets and hoses are a pain in the arse.

Fadge

• edited September 2013

Just a little Still Dragon Bragen for today. Thanks to everyone that i borrowed ideas from as i am very pleased with how this turned out.

Also @LunaBrille, the reflectix kicks butt.... like you said, it is very easy to work with and extremely forgiving for sure!

Did a cleaning run prior to the reflectix and it was very warm to be around so hopefully that will tone it down a bit. Going to jump on the bandwagon of the element guard kits next i think.

For this boilers maiden voyage i have three fermenters full of all grain wheat vodka still bubbling through the airlocks so i'm excited to try it out.

image image image

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    3.jpg
    600 x 920 - 78K
  • Looks terrific mate.

If you hover over the thumbnails when you upload them it will give you the choice to click to delete ot to place in your post. If you click place in post it will put a full size thumbnail in line wherever your cursor is.

• Or just wait for Moonshine to pass by and fix such picture issues ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I was wondering about that... Guess thats what the thread about posting pictures is for!

Thanks @Moonshine!

• heck, I was posting with attachment, then seeing what the link was, and then going back and editing my post to show the full version... Thanks!

• You are very welcome.

• Super slick and super clean. Really nice job on on your boiler Cambo

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Outstanding @Cambo. Another perfect keg boiler.
    If mine ever goes under the knife again it will definately get a sight glass just above the element ports like yours.

• Excellent work @Cambo! I love the 3" SGK on top!

• Thanks Lloyd means alot coming from you! It was neat to watch the element in action during the cleaning run.

@Smaug, all the fittings you suggested for the drain worked perfectly. I didn't wind up using the 8" (I think) straight piece of 1 1/2" TC, it stuck out a bit far, perhaps a shorter maybe 4" piece or 6" would work well. I'm just worried about tripping on it.

Getting ready to purchase an element guard kit.
    So does everyone that uses one remove the element after each use, rather than leaving the power cable dangling? Trying to look at twist lock electrical connectors to make a shorter cord and then plug it into my control panel. But dang they're expensive! It would be sweet if there was an integrated plug into the element guard kit B-)

Regardless if i like it or not i'm not in a position to leave my boiler permanently set up, which was what i was going for with this project. So the element gets hooked up each time it gets used.

• @LunaBrille said: Excellent work Cambo! I love the 3" SGK on top!

Yea did the math between that and the 2" SGK.... It was just worth the extra for the snark factor!

• @Cambo said: Getting ready to purchase an element guard kit.
    So does everyone that uses one remove the element after each use, rather than leaving the power cable dangling? Trying to look at twist lock electrical connectors to make a shorter cord and then plug it into my control panel. But dang they're expensive! It would be sweet if there was an integrated plug into the element guard kit B-)

I leave mine in the keg full time, and have only taken it out to put a bigger element in. All the cleaning is done in-situ.

See Law of Ohm's thread on Element Gaurds for his idea.

It's also a good idea (and Mandatory in Aus) to replace the triclamp wing nut with something like a 5/16" lock nut. This is so a tool is required to access to the electrical connections.

• edited September 2013

A standard tri clamp is leaps and bounds less accessible than what i have set up now. But a nut would be ideal with the element guard, no chance of undoing the wrong clamp. Definitely worth doing, Thanks @Philter

• I say put a DIN screw on cap like on the new bubble tees have, you just have to loosen the cord grip when tightening and loosening... but I am sure a long shanked nut would be a lot easier.. and less likely to twist wires and make things melt...

• sweet looking boiler LB just love the element kits i may have to get one of those 4-2 reducers with the window it just looks hot! B-)

• It is sweet, Coops, all the bells and whistles. And neat insulation wrap and sight glasses and everydamnthing.
    When I grow up I want my keg boiler to look like that. Not sure I could do such a pretty insulation wrap job though.

• Here is pics of my attempt, ive just cleaned the welds (and keg) with pickiling paste, yes I had to paint the whole thing!, Some moron (me) had decided to try BAM! to clean the welds, did the exact opposite, removed the chromium from the steel and the entire keg was rusty!.... anyway see if you can spot "Pink Bits" in the background, my mower made from bits and painted pink! (high powered self propelled motor on a utility base hehe)

6in top ferrule, 3in sight glasses, 2x 2in top, plus the original top connector now on the bottom.

IMG_1431.JPG
    450 x 600 - 69K
    IMG_1431 (2).JPG
    388 x 339 - 22K
    IMG_1432.JPG
    450 x 600 - 66K
  • Looks good, the 6 inch top would be so much better than 4 inch for cleaning and general access. Legs look short...l guess you dont need to use buckets to empty ( l do) but run it somewhere with a direct hose connection ? Fadge

• I'll use this one to do spirit runs, so dump down the drain. Tiny will do stripping runs and sits much higher. and damn that silver bubble insulation stuff is expensive!, only need a couple of meters...

• Looks the part LoO,nothing wrong there,nice job on the welds!

It is what you make it!

• First project I TIG welded, getting better as I go...