I messed with it now it's gone crazy

So I stripped my UJSSM and Pugirum on Sunday night and put my next generation on for both. Both took off within minutes and all was well, just wrapped in blankets both running around 25degc next day UJSSM was cruising along as normal rum wash wasn't bubbling just constant stream of gas out of airlock was a bit nervous about it but let it go went to work came home no mess and things were more sedate, last night came home rum was finished 48 hrs thought that was weird maybe it had stalled as temp was 16.5degc pulled 2 L out heated it up added 3 kg more brown sugar boiled for 10 mins added back went nuts again still going strong now. Now the UJSSM I don't have much spent grain so didn't swap any out thought I would boil 1kg of corn to porridge added teaspoon of amalase thinned out instantly let it sit for 20 mins opened fermenter threw in couple spoons of amalase and the corn porridge, wash went nuts. Came home from work today and temp is 38degc just wrapped in blanket last 2 washes needed electric blanket to maintain heat, still belting out bubbles almost overrunning the airlock.
Is this good or did I cock it up?

Comments

• Sounds good to me. Don't know what yeast you're using and what volumes you did add the sugar etc?

• edited June 2015

EDV493 for the rum and EC1118 for UJSSM 4kg in rum with 4L molasses and 7kg in UJSSM both 40L washes

• How hot is too hot

• Whenever a wash/mash is fermenting well that is usually a good sign. As far as too hot, I know that yeast can produce unwanted biproducts at higher temps. That said, my rum washes regularly run between 90-100F and no problems but I use Red Star bakers yeast. The yeast types WILL matter. From what I remember, most yeasts like the 70's. Fahrenheit of course.

• Ok it's champagne yeast so can handle a bit of heat

• edited June 2015

Could the amalase be working on the sour corn causing the violent ferment? Surely the small amount of cooked corn wouldn't make that much difference?

• Well the yeast is eating something. The yeast consuming sugars is the only thing causing fermentation. No bubbles, they have pushed themselves back from the dinner table.

• To me, it sounds like a little bit of what the mead guys are doing - mid ferment addition of nutrients (with the corn & boiled yeast). From what I gather, this gives your ferment another kick.

I mainly do the fermentation in my basement where I have the issue of slow fermentation with ambient temps at 68F.

• Washes will release suspended gas when anything is added as nucleation points, finished or not. You may have that situation over a day or so. Be careful doing what you are doing as it can sometimes be violent enough to overflow and make a mess for hours.

Don't ask me how i know.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How do you know?

• What are nucleation points

• @Unsensible it's around 50 F in my shed that's why I thought the ferment temps and times seemed a bit off

• edited June 2015

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• So just like dropping a mentos into a bottle of coke huh I like the "Let me Google that for you" link I shall re gift that.

• Still doesn't explain why the UJSSM wash generated so much heat compared to prior washes. Or am I missing something?