Essences

Many of us started with essences before graduating to grain.

Many are still new and just discovering the hobby.

For those of you that are into essences and are looking for that perfect bourbon, I think you'll find the following blend to be the finest essence bourbon you'll ever drink. If it's not then at least this combination will give you a good idea of what is possible and how you might be able to achieve the desired final product you've been looking for.

Into a 5L Demijohn:
4L of 40% neutral
50mL of Edwards - Bourbon - Kentucky
30mL of Edwards - Bourbon - Tennessee
20mL of Edwards - Mature Oak
Mix by inverting the bottle several times and top-up to 5L with 40% neutral.

Ready to drink, no need to wait on oak.
I've not met a single person who hasn't absolutely LOVED this!

Cheers,

Mech.

Tagged:

Comments

• Good stuff mate. There's a real lack of essence information out there and i encourage anyone who has used them and come up with something like this to post it up. The good and the bad, it's all good info.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks Mech,

I'll give it a go. I'm not a bourbon drinka, but I do love a whiskey sour!!! I have been looking for an alternative to spending 50 bucks plus on a bottle. Some of the essences I've tried in the past are not even close, it's not even bourbon!! Ahhhhh!!!!!!

I can tell you all some of the Samual Willards Pre-Mix range are deeevine!! My misses loves em and I dont mind a swig every now and then. Samual Willards Turkish Delight Samual Willards Butterscotch Schnapps - try throwing a couple of chilli's in there too, go really well together. Samual Willards Chocolate Cream, ohh yum. Or if you prefer Punkins Muck if you wanna make it.

Another great schnapps flavour is Peach. I reckon the still spirits peach vodka in the satchel is pretty good, and is under 5 bucks.

Last night i was playin around with flavors with Chocolate Cream. In a shot glass, 2/3 expresso vodka, 1/3 Chocolate Cream layered on top, coffee chocolate!! Winner!!!! In a shot glass, 1/3 Peach vodka, 2/3 Chocolate Cream layered on top, mmm, desert in a glass. Do the same with Apricot vodka!! Ohhh yumm. You can mix a lot of different things with Chocolate Cream, Like butterscotch, chilli vodka, Passionfruit vodka, ginger vodka, the list goes on, yeah I do have quite a few maceration atm.

Who else has got something to share???

Cheers H.

• Good contribution @Heef71 cheers. FYI I don't like ANY of the bourbon or whisky essences, I think they are all lacking. But by blending a few together something drinkable can be achieved.

• @TheMechWarrior I've just ordered the 3 essences online, should have em early next week and I'll get back to ya!!

• @TheMechWarrior Ok i've received all 3 essences and mixed up a batch at 1 liter for a trial. Gotta say it's still very essencey, bubblegumish and sweet. Sort of like the still spirits aussie gold rum, same same but different. I tried adding more mature oak but the bubblegumish flavour still presists, I'm not getting the sour mash. I guess it's all down to personal preference. For the very little bourbon i drink, which i use to make a whiskey sour, it was worth a try. But Thank-you for sharing. Cheers mate.

• edited July 2015

@Heef71 said: Same-same but different...

You talk like people here...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• That's Thai. They all say that there.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yeah @Heef71 it's not a sourmash flavour at all, it's sweet and vanilla with a touch of musk and oak. That's my problem with all these essences, they taste nothing like what they are suppose to be.

I guess at the end of the day I was at my wits end with essences and I'd given up when a mate (ringob20) concocted a blend, it kept me in essences for a while longer before moving to AG.

If you like essences I'd encourage anyone to try blending, you might create something you like.

Cheers,

Mech.

• My boy and his mates lived on essence mixes - kept them away from my good stuff.
    Mixed with coke everything tastes the same. Just as long they said that I didn't mix it up in plastic!!!! - they swore they could tell if I mixed it in plastic.

• Well I can certainly taste the difference. Better of drinking neut or the real thing.