Malt

Gday Lads,

I was just reading that when making scotch the malt needs to be soaked then left to germinate before mashing. I assume that has already been done buy the malt suppliers/ brew shops? I was reading a discussion on the fine scotch recipe about mashing. I assume it is like brewing beer, Hold at 65c for an hour or so to convert the starch to sugar, cool then ferment. There was all that talk about puking ect.... Do I have the process right?

Has anyone got a list of malts used in stilling and their flavors? Or could some one point me in the right direction please?

I bought a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yr Single malt, it was nice and smooth but im not a big fan of the citrus flavors in a scotch. I think it needs to be mellowed out with some peat or smokiness. I would like to avoid using the wrong malts. So a list of their names and flavors would go along way.

Thanks guys, have a good one

Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2015

Malt is what grain is called after it has been germinated, but in our world, usually means malted barley. You can find rye and wheat malt pretty easily these days as well, so maybe it's worth making the distinction.

Process is exactly like brewing beer, in fact, you are probably best off going through the home brew websites to understand the process, they do a better job of it than the distilling websites.

• But brewing AG beer can have extra steps or ingredients that are not required nor do they carry over into distilling... in a lot of cases... such as black malts ... chocolate malts that kind of thing

At least from my understanding ... i am not an AG beer maker...

• @FullySilenced - It depends. I haven't played around with AG as much as I want but the flavor definitively carries over from the different grains used. Think about peated and smoked malts to make scotch's. As such, I'm sure, the specialty malts will also add flavors that carry over.

Example: I had a buddies leftover braggot that made an excellent whiskey totally different to the single malt that I did based on 2-row base malt.

• You'll have a better grasp of the process if you understand the brewing methodology, and why each step is done the way it's done, and then amend your process for distilling, than the other way around.

It's one thing to master the topic, and then discard elements as unnecessary, than to approach it from the other side and to be doing things without any understanding of exactly why they are done (or worse, to do crazy things that are completely counter intuitive).

It's a harder road, and it's a longer road, but you'll be a better distiller because of it. This applies to all other aspects as well, sanitation, milling of grist, water chemistry, etc, etc.

Homebrewers have the AG side well managed, the websites, the books, the tutorials, videos, the home brew stores, etc.

• edited June 2015

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

The bible, and it's free to read.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2015

So, in keeping with the topic, (only just) here is a little ditty I used to listen to (and drink to) in college.

john_barleycorn_must_die.jpg
    551 x 552 - 75K