Tequila Recipe?

edited May 2015 in Recipes

I am a huge tequila fan but always assumed it was slightly out of my price range for agave nectar. Anyway, long story short, I got this article in my inbox:

Pulque: Mexico's Ancient Fermented Beverage - American Homebrewers Association

Being the curious sort, I went to Amazon and looked at agave nectar prices and found this stuff:

Madhava Organic Agave Nectar Light -- 46 fl oz @ Amazon

So, in theory, I could VERY affordably make a double batch of this stuff and run through my dash and gently age on some french oak. Anyone see any problem with this? Is this actually agave nectar or is it agave syrup that is just poorly labeled (seems too cheap for 3lbs of nectar)?? Any advice??

Thanks!
Jasper

Comments

• The AHA has always been highly resistant to any mention of home/hobby distilling. Perhaps this article signals a slight softening of their obstinance?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: The AHA has always been highly resistant to any mention of home/hobby distilling. Perhaps this article signals a slight softening of their obstinance?

Doubtful - but we can certainly hope. My guess is they are just trying to bring back an ancient 'beer' recipe.

• edited May 2015

This is a difficult nut to crack. But it is possible. You should look to the dark agave nectar, sorry agave nectar and syrup are two words for the same thing.

• I've used their products for years for everyday home use and it seems to be high quality. The dark stuff has a much more pronounced flavor. Years ago I inquired about wholesale pricing through my winery and they sent me a large amount of samples of all of their products. It makes an outstanding homemade margarita mix!

• edited May 2015

@rossco said: This is a difficult nut to crack. But it is possible. You should look to the dark agave nectar, sorry agave nectar and syrup are two words for the same thing.

I know they are sometimes used interchangably... but i think they are two different things? Good ol marketing...

There's a Difference Between Agave Nectar and Agave Syrup

• edited May 2015

I've tried a few of @rossco's goes at agave spirit and enjoyed them all.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Technically, not sure if that would qualify for full tequila.
    The beer article tasks about sap collected from the leaves. The tour that I took, was taking about using three root ball, steam cooking it for 12 hours then grinding them up and squeezing out the sugary goodness too ferment.

1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 74K
    2.jpg
    800 x 236 - 32K
  • edited May 2015

@Unsensibel said: Technically, not sure if that would qualify for full tequila.

There is a whole heap of misinformation out there. Jasper already knows that.
    Like... ever wondered why tequila has a smokey flavor when they use a steam oven? There is no flame.
    Or how Cuervo manages to satisfy global demand when it says it takes 3 agave hearts to make a bottle?
    Leastways no-body is arguing that you can make Tequila with syrup, Tequila is made in Mexico.

BTW Jasper I found out that you can use the pinna as well as the hearts. That will be a lot easier to get a hold of... the council shouldn't notice when you harvest one from the middle of their roundabout.

• edited May 2015

@rossco, do you have a nectar recipe that comes 'close'? Unfortunately I am nowhere near agave country so getting an actual plant doesn't seem like a viable option. I have been browsing a bit over on HD and the best one I have seen has been roger's recipe...sounds like you have done some experimenting since...

Thanks!
    Jasper

• edited May 2015

Roger was kind of on the right track. I'm loath to write much because on a couple of occasions I have helped well known people, via pms and I have regretted it afterwards because of stuff they have posted (not just on HD). This is a difficult thing to work out, but it is possible. See the HD posts by Rod and the guy at the bottom.

p.s. if you get it right it is very close to Patron.

• edited January 2016

@rossco is on-the-money. Others have crapped on him - but I have made some good "Mexican-type Liquor" based on his work. PS I love Tequila Sunrise. LoL !!!

• edited January 2016

@Stinger have been continuing development. Look at early tails as an opportunity rather than a liability.