Distilling Books Recommendations

This discussion was created from comments split from: Read Me First - The Very Basics of Liquor Distillation.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• If I could only own one book it be without any doubt

The Compleat Distiller (2nd Edition) - by Nixon & Macaw

Worldwide, there is a growing interest in distillation by those who enjoy making alcoholic beverages, essential oils, botanical extracts and perfumes. We have read books that purport to describe how distillation works, but got it wrong in whole or in part, and some that detail how to build a particular type of still and operate it but which are based more on myth than sound scientific and engineering knowledge. We came to the conclusion that there was a crying need for a book that gives a detailed account of the entire subject, avoiding old wives' tales and dealing entirely in verifiable facts. We were proud to have recently received this tribute: I read your book. Excellent work! As a teacher of Chemistry I must admit that this book is truly a teaching book of the highest caliber. It is a proud member of my library! MC

Designs may have moved on a bit since it was put out but there is simply no better in terms of explaining what's actually going on in those pipes. Read and understand this book from cover to cover and you will have a better understanding than 90% the shiners out there and that's not an exaggeration.

the_compleat_distiller.jpg
    200 x 300 - 14K
  • edited May 2015

I HIGHLY recommend Bob's book for a beginner starting out. It's written in simple to understand terms, gives clear guides on how to design simple stills and recipes that anyone can use.
    The work he's put into it is fantastic and the work that's gone into this guide he has written to help newcomers is not to be underestimated.

If i was to recommend a first book to someone who wanted to play around at home and learn the basics it would be Making Fine Spirits for sure.

Thanks @zymurgybob for posting Read Me First - The Very Basics of Liquor Distillation here.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2015

Not to mention that @zymurgybob always pays it forward by being pretty much readily available to the community at large.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Sorry, didn't mean to step on toes. Bob's is certainly more pot focused which is why I bought it.

• edited May 2015

Not knocking the excellent work by @zymurgybob & others, but we can't forget the Dash Operations Manual & Gin Guide GRIN

Oh that's right they aren't books...

• I also read Ian Smiley's a lot when starting out.

Riku's ARC book has some fantastic concepts in there but certainly not a starting point.

I have lots more but those three are the only ones I need. I just saw Ian's got a new rum book out which I promptly purchased.

Any one read it?

Any other good reference book recommendations?

'The Art of Making Fermented Sausages' by the Marianski bros is another must have on my shelf.

How 'bout All Grain brewing? I need something of worth there.

• John Palmer is the acknowledged ruler of that i think. How To Brew.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand