StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

A small Commercially Distillery built in Sweden from scratch, adapted to Swedish Laws and Regulation

Comments

• edited October 2013

Todays work, some roof to my big 108mm bubble caps.

image image image image image image image

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 57K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
    5.jpg
    600 x 800 - 63K
    6.jpg
    600 x 800 - 97K
    7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 85K
  • edited October 2013

4" and 2" bubble caps..

Before and after a have fix the to big roof to the caps...

Now it is only m4ss treaded in the middle and return pipe left then this 8" bubble caps plate finish with 3" 35mm high riser and 4" caps...

image image

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
  • edited October 2013

Tomorrow a shall cut down 10pc 5meter long= 50m, 18mm copperpipe to 2pc 8" refluxcooler/ 40pc 25cm long pipe to 1pc cooler and 1pc 12" refluxcooler/ 66pc 35cm long pipe= 146pc copperpipe... Note so funny..... but is must be done... Cheers

• edited October 2013

Today's work:
    80 pc 18 mm 30 cm long copper tubes are cut off and shall be fitted in 2pc 8 "reflux condenser .. just 66pc 18mm tube at 35cm long left to cut of ... then we can start to braze together this 3pc whole package.

Cheers

copper.jpg
    600 x 800 - 83K
  • edited October 2013

2” and 4” bubble caps finish

Citrus acid/water is really good. Save a lot of time and work.

Made in Sweden.

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 59K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
  • edited October 2013

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K
  • edited October 2013

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
  • edited October 2013

Cheers

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
  • edited October 2013

2pc Super refluxcooler all in copper 8" with 2" side outlet and 1pc 12" in back

Cheers

3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 86K
  • Excellent job it looks like you have silver soldered the tri clover ferrules fittings to the inside of the the rolled tube I have always edge welded them this looks the way to go ! looking forward to the the next stage

• Hi, i think that it is much easier to get it 100% sealed with hard silver solder with flux on, then it is to weld copper to stainless with tig.... ask reed door destilleri of this ;-)

Cheers

• edited October 2013

All copper to copper a hard solder with plumber copper hard solder with about 5% silver in it, we have allso plumber copper hard solder with only 2% silver in it here in Sweden but this with 5% is better to work with for me anyway, but it has i much lighter color ( silver) than copper when it is 5% silver in it, that is the only thing that issnt so good... but the russian comersiella manufactures have silver in there aktive carbonat for a better taste.. so maybe this is good.... :-)

Cheers

• edited October 2013

12" reflux cooler is big when you look at 4" and 8" ferrules...

image image

8" commercial product cooler x100cm in the wet part with some plate to make the water to zig-zag all time... yes this is overkill, but maybe a go for bigger boiler in the future and more power, type 66-75kw.... ;-)

Made in Sweden

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
  • edited October 2013

Hi Low, 12" is relly big and everyting in this size is relly heavy to handel it,s much copper in it. This 12" refluxcooler is for whisky and shall sit on a 3pc plate column with many, many small sd bubbelcaps on ( and only 4pc sd return per plate to start with ), and this a think that am alone with to have so many bubbelcaps in 1pc plate, more foto is coming later.

Carl and kothes column is about 50cm in in size but theres "active destillations plate space" is "only" about 12"/30cm in there 50cm column, in all foto and film that a have seen. maybe they have bigger "active desrtillations plate area" a relly dont nowe that and havent se that, but they have only 1pc big gigant bubbelcaps.

12" is relly my biggest column size that a shall build, a can note think that anyone need bigger size ( if hole plate is active) if it is note a big, big factory.... but it is easier to "go big" becouse you have more place to relly get a good/ optimum pattern in all place.. ;-)

Cheers

• edited October 2013

12" plate for SD bubble caps

Cheers

12in_bubble_caps_plate.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K
  • Harley, we've been turning away sales for 12" bubble columns because we just don't have the time to develop it right now. But I'm keeping an eye on your build!!

• Please do Lloyd. The inquiries are getting more frequent.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Hi to you both, In this 12” copper plate a have 37pc hole and am very happy with this pattern but it is expansive with so many small bubbelcaps and it work best with a licuid deep in the plate beetven 15-17mm, so to keep the cost down a think that 1pc 8”- 200mm to 180mm gigant bubbelcaps with a 4” middle hole/ riser is one way to go to keep the price down in 12” size but in that constellation it is important to have a low saw tooth pattern so you don’t get any restriktions there a think and then you can have higher licuid deep if you have higher riser if you are hunting % and note flavor… So maybe a built a column with only 1pc gigant bubbelcaps like this in the future if my test in 8” size is good, I shall se this later.

This with column size a have thinking of latley and personally i think that 4" 8" 12" is the size that a think can fit moust peopel, 6" and 10" is little overkill for 4" to hobby and 8" to start up "legally" with and later 12" then most peopel are happy ;-) i think that this size is what sell best in EU anyway... Cheers

• I have make 12pc 2" bubbelcaps and a have test many. many time to get a good pattern in both 8" and 12" but a shall be onest a relly dont like this 2" size in bubbelcaps,( To much free space betven bubbelcaps) it,s only good in a 4" column as a singel bubbelcaps.... in 8" and 12" a only se 2 way,, small sd caps ore 1pc big caps.. but this is my personally oponion/thinking.

Cheers

• edited October 2013

8"x 130cm long commercial product cooler ( 100cm in the wet part) is finish wit a lot of baffle sheet inside so water must about 9 time zig-zag.. and all copperplate in it is SD, 8" copperplate for bubble caps so a have about 16pc 15mm copper pipe x100cm inside this. so i think that it Note shall be any restrictions here for the flow....

Here you can see it when is shall come together on a bench beside boiler.

image image

By the way, now I have access all time to a CNC punch machine so a can test a lot of different pattern and hole size later...

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 74K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 71K
  • edited October 2013

Thanks @Law_Of_Ohms,

I really like copper and it is a lovely material to work with and fast it goes to hard solder in it also and everything that is hard-soldered to this date, is 100% tight/sealed from beginning also when my friend hard solder with silver- copper to SS, it is 100% tight from beginning... that is something to think about and my friend that build all this big column for me have "license" for TIG welding in SS but he like more to hard solder because it goes a lot of faster and 99%- 100% it is sealed from the beginning...

• edited October 2013

Bath time for all new copper parts, new water in this old bath with about 1 liter citric acid in it, this a really like it is working for it self and it shall be nice and clean in both in and outside in all this copper parts by its self ;-)

Cheers

citric.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
  • Before and after pictures of this will be dramatic @harley.
    Always super work from you. Keep the pictures coming, please.

• edited October 2013

Thanks, this is after about 24 hours of "rest" in this old bath with only water and 1 liter citric acid in it. It looks the same on the inside....

Cheers

citric_24h.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K
  • edited October 2013

I found a picture of Harley and his product condenser.....

loo.jpg
    360 x 270 - 14K
  • Are you sure you're not building yourself a mini nuclear reactor Harley?

Those coolers are huge! :) Seriously though, thanks for keeping us up to date with your build.