StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

A small Commercially Distillery built in Sweden from scratch, adapted to Swedish Laws and Regulation

Comments

• edited September 2013

Bubbelcaps:
    4 "108mm copper tube cut to about 5cm height and a" round cap "brazed on top of this and 60-66pc 5x5x5mm vapor tap/steam outlet is received at the other end of this giant bubble caps.

Riser / inner pipe:
    3 "76mm copper pipe that is cut to a length of about 3cm and brazed tightly at the bottom of this 203mm big round 1.5 mm thick copper plate and a" bow "in copper brazed round of this end with a stainless steel m6 which is centered to mount bubble caps with.

Adjustable 22mm return pipe with vapor lock in air that can be set between 0-30mm liquid level on the tray ....

203mm size of the column / plate = 129 The volume is 461.89 cubic millimeter (mm3)
    6% = 7767.71
    6.5% = 8415.02
    7% = 9062.33
    108mm copper pipe circumference = 108x3, 14 = 339.12 mm is the distance around this tube.
    5mm triangular hole with the tip up a volume of: The volume is 130.9 cubic millimeter (mm3) st
    66ST x5mm = 33cm length and volume of the 66ST 5x5x5 = 8639.40 mm3 ie just over 6.6% of the column volume.

This feels good with 5x5x5 outlets and about 66ST should fit around the 108mm thick copper bubble caps and then you have a volume in all these holes corresponding to approximately 6.6% of the column volume ...

Thus, between 60pc to 66pc 5x5x5mm triangular eliminator pointing upwards around this 108mm copper pipe in the bottom of the plate is optimally ... and over 6% free steam output of column diameter builds NOT up any pressure, so you get problems with the returns ...

Cheers

• @Harley, my hat is off to you sir, I have been known to spend 500.00 US to make a part that I could have bought for 250.00 but it it so much sweeter when you can say " I built it dammit", so there!! keep up the good work, to hell w/ everyone who does not care. we do...:-)

• Harley I'm with you it's the journey that makes the adventure the pleasure that you receive is what life is all about .

• edited September 2013

Hello everyone Well I can actually buy end caps of size 108/45mm and a material thickness of 2.44 mm and a weight of about 0.45 kg per head for about 16.20 usd pc+ freight and more "shit in toll" from kina .... but as I said I just have to try to make them my self first, and they'll be at least 10 times more expensive that's for sure .... I only need 30pc ... but it,s funny to try to make them myself, thats what it all about ;-) Now a have found a company that can laser cut my 5x5x5mm low saw pattern in the bottom end. And a "think" that a have bought a stansmacine on a internet auktion last night( i hope, relly hope that someone make a higher bid than me...).... to much whisky thats for sure.... I need a alcohol lock on my computer soon becouse this old stans macine weight 3-4 ton...... Cheers

• +1 on the alcohol computer lock...heck +several

• By the way, now a have order 30pc 108/45 big copper end caps from kina.... but am still try to make them myself....

Cheers

• edited September 2013

I have fixed a person who can push turn and also have a real push turns to pressure turning 6pc in 1.5 mm copper plate / 120mmx50mm to the test so I'll see how it goes.

I have also ordered 30pc 108/45mm "endcaps" for 2.5 mm copper a 0.5 kg piece so now there is apparently copper "bubble caps" to process what it suffers, after it was 5x5x5mm toothed pattern is made and I will see if I can push to the end of this caps so it becomes round so all Relux not stops there but runs right off.

While I myself shall see if I can braze on a roof in a 50mm hight 108mm pipe so it will be a caps ... Then I get to see which solution is optimal for me ...

Should we test this to the max, then it should also be developed to the max in this 203mm / 8 "column ..

Now I have soon 3 different plate types which in my eyes is the max-developed and even set to approximately 6.5% volume / flow of the column volume, so they should give roughly the same amount of product per hour at the same kw, the only question is which one transferring most flavor ... it is to be tested more fully what it suffers ...

I was and looked at this little excenter punch ( made 1954) today in Skara 30km from me and it weighs probably only 1-1.5 tons and unfortunately i think that a must go there and get it ..... dam whisky.... Cheers

• edited September 2013

"I was and looked at this little excenter punch ( made 1954) today in Skara 30km from me and it weighs probably only 1-1.5 tons and unfortunately i think that a must go there and get it ..... dam whisky.... Cheers"

I am happy.... the last idiot/fool issnt born yeat, someone make a higher bid than me on this old excenter press so nowe am relly happy... Cheers

• edited September 2013

Swedens first 4" singel caps column build on Svenska Bryggforum....

Då börjar "Flute" bygget

Cheers

• edited September 2013

Update:
    It took time to hand crank it around this in round feeding table, to "dam much time" so a go with bigger and few hole, but only 5mm in height .... As part became the 30pcs and about 5mm deep by about 8x8x8mm and together all this 30pc hole have a volume little more than 10% volume of the column diameter / plate volume.

And without StillDragon's 4 "clamps so it would have been total Impossible to tighten this up internally with a 3 jaw chuck for tube is oval and drop when you excavate it ... and yes, a learn this the hard and "dangerous" way....

image image image

Manhole StillDragon of location, quality is 100% great/good.

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    5.jpg
    600 x 800 - 64K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • edited September 2013

Prototype # 2:

4mm is the total height of these "releases" and 6x6x7,8 becomes triangle-steam output when placed on distillation plate.

40pcs slits Triangle outlets were there this time and this feels Really good for steam bubbles get pressed against the plate bottoms all the time and the greater the effect feeds the harder pressed against steam bubbles bottoms plate ...

Will only count on the volume of these slots 40pcs ...

Cheers

prototype.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • Updating. After sitting and counting half the night on flows / volumes so I begin to understand why Kothe and Carl have so extremely large columns to small boilers ... for it is necessary when you only have 1st giant bubelcaps ... so you need to have a large radius of the lonely giant bubbelcapsen to spreading out the large number of holes/ slots that are needed so you do not get pressure build up on the plates .... and the rough pattern in my case gives about 25% more streams for the free passed volume is about 25% more ... but a shall make 3pc of eath pattern so a can test drive them and compare to eatch other... and se the differents in real life...

Cheers

• edited September 2013

Handwork...

Cheers

artisanry.jpg
    600 x 800 - 90K
  • Dang harley i am so jealous!! Shop, tools, toys, SD stuff...you sure you don't need a stepchild:-)

• edited September 2013

Today's work .... One feels like a monkey in both arms, which more or less hangs down at the floor after all this hand-cranking both on the round feeding table and on the table of the milling cutter ...

CNC must be a heaven to youse.... compare to this handwork...

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 89K
  • @captainshooch said: Dang harley i am so jealous!! Shop, tools, toys, SD stuff...you sure you don't need a stepchild:-)

You are welcome and use my macine and tools if you are in Falköping in Sweden, no problem ;-)

Cheers

• H, you make it very tempting..I only wish I could, but if I am ever in Falkoping, I be sure to give you a shout. Really enjoy you work and your posts...Keep'em coming so I can keep on learning:-)

• edited September 2013

Here you can se my 108mm outside diameter of this gigant bubbelcaps, but it issnt the max size becouse a can get room with 133mm outside diameter "and its still in centrum" and then a have place for more "slots" for steam output so with same "fine" pattern that this have with 40pc slots in 108mm give about 48-50 slots in 133mm cap size and this give about 20% better flow.... more free steam volym... and it is much easier for me to by this in a long pipe and cut it in ecakt same height so a can macine work it before a put on the valved roof with copper hardsolder so no reflux licuid shall be standing there on the roof/top when it is so big...

And yes when a have only 1pc big bubbelcaps then it relly need to be so big as possibel becouse outhervise it can be a restriction in the flow.... to little slots... and then the returnpipe shall Note work good! becouse it build up pressure on the plate, when you have a hight power to it... So maybe a by a 133mm pipe ore roll a coppersheet to that size and hardsolder/ tigweeld it together or let someone that Can press tuning lathe to get this size... well we shall se that later... My "target" is to have 3pc differnet typ of 8" plate and all shall rely be so good that the can be in 8" size and in sieve, sd bubbelcaps and 1pc gigant bubbelcaps... and then a shall compere them rely hard..... in all way... both for vodka and whisky.

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
  • edited September 2013

Nowe an finish with all sd riser and allso doovncomers/return, but the return i make "only" becouse it have place for bigger hole, the orginalhole was big enouth... a have go from 5mm to 6mm in the retur and this maybe is better ore note, but it was place for bigger hole and a have the same distans from top to hole begin so a have moved the bigger hole little more to the bottom end ... and the hole in the riser is 4,2mm and allso moved a little to the top, but 4mm is enougt there allso....but is was room for 4,2mm. I hope that a "only" need 2pc sd return to a 8" sd plate with this returpipe, so a can have more bubbelcaps on it... we shall se that later.

Cheers

2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 74K
  • Very nice harley, you almost there. Cant wait to see the results.

• @moscca said: Very nice harley, you almost there. Cant wait to see the results.

Thanks, a am doing a little here and a little there at this moment. but soon in a beginning of the new year a hope that all have come apart so a can start up everything.

• edited September 2013

I had some free time so I rolled a 1.5 mm copper plate piece into a tube of about 133mm in outside diameter ...

Here you can se the differents of 108/ 133mm pipe in size...

image image image

Quite spontaneously, it feels as i need to "side move" away this caps about 1cm from the return pipe so you get about 10mm gap/distans there, and that is no problem to do that. Now a have probably max size of this giant bubble caps/133mm on this 203mm plate, but what size of pattern is best... small or big as you can se in my erlier post....

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 83K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 69K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
  • edited September 2013

Weekend Investment, an old ring bending rack. And it was used directly for directing some copper after I had soldered together my rolled plate to pipe it joins some ... and the size of the largest metal tube fitted perfectly to my big giant bubble caps tube ...

No neat brazing but to be about 30 years since I held the gas welder so I'm happy and it will hopefully only get better and with a shower nozzle to gas weld it is more likely to spread the heat better too ... I should have 2x shower heads 1st 500 and 1st 800 liters but I found them not, and drove with the largest welding nozzle and it gave the concentrated heat, too little spread, but tight is it anyway, simple as that, and continued it .... just have to try and tig weld copper when 300amp Millern is plugged in and see what happens and how long time it takes.

By the way, all this big bubble caps in different sizes are only "prototypes", when I know what is best for Whiskey and Vodka, then I'll go for it....

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 64K
  • @harley, it really is a pleasure to follow your progress, it is just amazing what you are doing up there in the North. I wish I had your skills and your tools. Keep the pictures coming! Hopefully you will shoot videos in the future as well. :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited September 2013

image image image

Cheers

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 56K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 44K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 45K
  • edited September 2013

Copper endcaps 108mm with a thickness of 2,44mm and a weigt of about 0,5kg pc...

image image

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 97K
  • edited October 2013

I had e a little time over so a made some Big 1pc per plate copper bubble caps for a 4" column only for testing how it looks like....

2"/54 mm copper bubble caps with a low saw pattern inside a 4"#/108mm copper pipe.

image image image

The copper piece in the middle have to small pattern, it build up pressure on the plate with this pattern but both in the end have a little bigger pattern and this shall work a think,.

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 81K
    4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 54K
  • edited October 2013

image image

12pc 2" 54mm copper piece is finish only round roof left.

Cheers

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 71K
  • @harley said: It have been some talking of experience of diferents size of columns, product per hour, power request and boiler size… Here you all have some “fast data” that are based on plate area

4” 100mm about 1 gallon per hour and about 3000-4000watt in 100liters boiler when you are destilling….

12”300mm= about 8,2 time bigger than a 4” and 2,2 time bigger than a 8”

This is only theoretical but soon a shall update it with real data ;-) at least in 8” and 12”

harley, I searched for an update but came up empty. Is there any other real data you could share?

• edited October 2013

@jbierling said: harley, I searched for an update but came up empty. Is there any other real data you could share?

Hi, im note up and running yet, am still bilding my equipment so a dont have any Real Own data from destilling yet to share... Only calculation and teori or others peopels data....

Cheers