StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Commercial Practices, Equipment for Micro Distilleries, Tips&Tricks, Info Exchange and Photos

13»

Comments

• what about the bottling machine, where is a good source for those?

• Here is the one I have. Got it from GW Kent.

6 Spout Gravity Filling Machine

bottle filler.jpg
    348 x 348 - 28K
  • Very nice! I was already wondering about the missing pieces to the final product. One just has to search for the right value deals on such machinery, local vendors just try to rob you blind.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited June 2013

Hi RDD, I'm a bit interested in how long the heating time have you with all your 8pc element a 5500watt in 1,000 liters an uninsulated vessel, and how long will it take today for you to distill 1000Liter with a 4 "sieve plates ... if it is what you have today .. the reason I ask is that I go and looking to avail myself of a vessel that holds 1000liter instead of 600 liters, but all my calculations are for 600 liters ... and if a changing to a 400liter bigger wessel -old insulated milktank then a make a new 10" sieve column with 20pc plates ;-) This shall be funny to make all calculations again and se if 33 000watt is enouth.....

Cheers

• I run a 1000L Charge at 5% abv in a 1324L Boiler. With 44,000 watts my heatup time to 93c which is about the boil point of 5% abv is about 3hrs-3.5hrs depending on how cold the building is.

This is not what I normally do though. I normally turn on only 5,500 watts and run it over night 10hrs. so when I get in to the distillery in the morning at 8am it is already at around 85c. I kick it up to the full 44,000 watts and in about 20mins I am up to 93c and refluxing.

I do not currently have 4" sieve plates. I use an 4" 1.5m tall open column for strip runs and I have a 4" 1.5m tall column that is packed with SS scrubbers. When striping with the open column I run 22,000w and take off at about 19L an hour at around 40%.

When I have run the packed column with 5% wash I can only run 11,000w if I am using any reflux or I choke the column.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks, that help and a think, ,and hope that a shall have about 1-1,5 hours heat up time if a have 500 liter in a insulated boiler with 33 000watt and about 20 degres celsius in my boilier room-start temp.

• Yeah based on my experience. I would guess about an hour for 500L with 33,000watt.

• One of the reasons why I ask is that my mashtun and even 2pc fermentation vessel is adapted to 1000 liter batches and my thought-planning is that I will burn about 500 liters at a time in a bolier which holds about 600 liters and my natural next update is go to 1000liter boiler ... All my boiler, fermentation tanks and mashtun are old insulated milk tanks that I will build on for this purpose and there is a lot of access enjoyed in various sizes cheap here in Sweden for dairy farmers spend or increasing and then these thoughts for small or over..

Chees

• But you shall " save" some power when you have the column sitting on top of yours bolier. I shall have my both on a bench to side of boiler and it all is conected with some 2" copper pipe and 2pc 3 way cranes, and a have allso a copper cone on top of my boiler so this shall take some power-4-5000watt more than it,s need if the column is on top of boiler i think...

• Not really. The cold thermal mass of the stainless mash tun brings the water temp down from 100C to about 90C by time I finish pumping the water over to the mash tun. Then I add the Gypsum and the Beta-glucanase enzyme.

Both the Beta-glucanase enzyme and the Alpha-Amylase Liquid Enzyme are High Temp tolerant. So it is not like working with Malted grain to provide these enzymes.