First Uncle Jesse's Run

Hello All, I am just waiting for the first batch of uncle Jesse's to drop in SG and I am wondering on the best process to run it, I have up to 4 bubble plates. Any suggestions for a Newb?

Tagged:

Comments

• Welcome to the world of SD.

There are lots of options available due to the modular nature of SD kit including: - removing the plates so you have a pot still to do strip & spirit runs - saving & combining strip runs from multiple generations for a combined spirit run - using 1 or 2 plates to do strip & spirit runs - use 3 or 4 plates with a single pass.

it really is up to you, what you feel like doing or are looking to achieve. Do you want to experiment? do you want to get something to drink? do you have other batches lined up?

Many of us here have experimented with these & other options to gain a better insight into the processes and the affect of various combinations on the quality of the output.

All that said, a single run through using 4 plates will give you a nice product. you can drink it white or oak it at 65% for a while.

let the games begin.

• I agree with the above in general its all about how much time you have and the amount your running.

Stripping can save a fair bit of time, in the sense that its fairly lazy and easy to run as a pot with no plates, no deflag and fill the boiler up and let it go. Grab a taste of the real hearts in the middle of a strip run and you will be pleasantly surprised just how good the product is. I now grab about 1lt each run, its drinkable white.

A couple of quick strip runs we have enough to then do a spirit run, and if combined with fresh wash works well. Call this a 1.5 run

3 or 4 strips more than enough for a full spirit run normally, need enough to 3/4 fill the boiler plus top up water (or wash)

Running from scratch with just with plates works well, but yield can be on the low side, and takes a bit of effort and time, but nice product.

You really have to try a few ways and see what works for you time wise, and compare the results. Its hard cause most of the time it needs to age before really tasting, but that another whole story on its own.

Fadge

• Pretty much what the other blokes have said. The heart of the hearts isn't a bad drop as white dog, though its not really my cup of tea. A single run through 4 plates does it for me, keep your heads and tails as feints and throw them back into the next run. The first run wont have a lot of flavor, keep the gens going as long as you can and it gets better. Good cuts and plenty of time on oak is what makes a good UJ. Don't be afraid to experiment with different levels of toast and char when it comes to oaking...all will produce different results...some you will like , others you will like more.

• @SBB_ said: Pretty much what the other blokes have said. The heart of the hearts isn't a bad drop as white dog, though its not really my cup of tea. A single run through 4 plates does it for me, keep your heads and tails as feints and throw them back into the next run. The first run wont have a lot of flavor, keep the gens going as long as you can and it gets better. Good cuts and plenty of time on oak is what makes a good UJ. Don't be afraid to experiment with different levels of toast and char when it comes to oaking...all will produce different results...some you will like , others you will like more.

^^^This.

I'm on Gen 5 and the last two especially have been so much better. I added malted barley to the mix at Gen 4 and it added a little more grain flavor.

Good luck.

• I have had UJ aging for over six months now and they are only just starting to smoothen out I'm not a big bourbon fan so can afford to wait til the are in their prime. As each generation is made it gives you window to age so you will nearly always have a tipple once the first lot is of age. But as mentioned you can alway drink it white if you choose