StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

ProCaps vs. Regular Bubble Caps + Downcomer

13»

Comments

• This is, right now, pretty much the only forum I have time for right now and really enjoy the wealth of info from everyone.

Lotta good info on rum, Harry. That is where my latest interest is so it hits at a perfect time. Thanks for posting.

• I hope nobody assumes that this is the only research performed on the Procap 36's as they were extensively tested, modified and run well before their release. The current model is definitely not the first and there were are a lot of expensive modifications made to get them where they are now before we released them.

For example we already knew from Fester's testing that 4 procaps made little to no difference in real term results than 3 on a procap plate and that is why the 4" plate has 3 holes.
    It's much better value for the same results.

We really value the innovation and experimentation that our members do with our products, but we always know how they will perform in a standard situation before release.

As with all our stuff, we take feedback from real world users on board and make changes where they will improve the products, like we did with the regular caps when we upgraded the vapour hole size after feedback.
    I expect the procaps to evolve the same way.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Right now, I'm really interested in any data or feedback on the downcomer extensions. I've only heard of a few who have tried them. Seems that they could negate any "lack of contact time" issues that Harry has written about, if there is an issue at all. Even if there is no issue, it seems that it would be well worth the small cost even if they help a little.

Anyone?

• Yes they are indeed a great addition. I normally set them between 3/16" and 1/4" above the top of the cap, and the fluid bed is just as lively as you can imagine. You should give them a try :-bd

• edited April 2015

I really like having the ability to set the fluid level on my plates. I set my extensions at 1/4". That seems to work well. I have not had a chance to try different heights to compare the differences yet. The extensions can be made to fit snugly with a turn or two of plumbers' PFTE tape. Using a feeler gage to set the height of the extensions insures uniform height across the plate(s).

I've also found that using the reflux flow directors (the silver dingle dangle thingies) is not necessary on the 3 procap 4" plates, as the plates can be offset positioned so that the reflux drips onto the plate below, in between the caps.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• However if you direct the flow from the downcomers to the wall you will have less disturbance in the fluid bed and in theory... without the disruption more uniformity... and should make a better product... again it's conjecture on my part...

• edited April 2015

Less disturbance of the fluid bed? You're kidding, right? It's like an erupting volcano in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tPdGR8k6Fs

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I'm going to add another 3 plates to my ace/baby CD at the end of the month and I'll be getting 6 downcomer extensions for sure