StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Look what I got in the mail

books.jpg
600 x 800 - 97K

Comments

• Nice addition to your library.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• That is a great collection! Don't forget about Distillers Guide to Rum too.

• Very nice. Also, The Compleat Distiller by Nixon and McCaw.

• The 2 center books are great additions to any libray,not slighting any book as a addition,but those 2 have been read and used the most in my collection

It is what you make it!

• edited April 2015

@FloridaCracker said: All at once?

I've still got a month of this deployment left. I'm wondering if I should of got more.

• ALT Whiskeys, what an amazing book

• edited April 2015

For anyone thinking about buying Copper packing from Amphora - this is what a 3lb block looks like.
    This should keep me going a year or 3.

Amphora_Copper_3lb.jpg
    800 x 600 - 132K
  • You got quality mesh right there, I got mine back in 2010 from memory and I've seen a lot of mesh since but this is still the best.

• edited April 2015

I used to retail it and got it by the crate, but the Amphora stuff is the best i ever saw or stocked.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Nice. I need to get me some more

glass_still.jpg
    450 x 800 - 49K
  • Ha. Yours came before mine.

I couldn't help but get one after that gin class either... any broken pieces?

• Mine arrived with a broken graham condenser

• Nope, and Mine was used on eBay, from Louisville, bought on the drive home from Louisville, LOL.... I got it for $300 shipped... the seller packed it very, very well in mostly the original packing, the condenser was in special packing... but not a grahm, just a glass leibig... when the UPS guy delivered, I shook it really hard and heard nothing and smiled at the driver and said "sounds good, thanks!" I ran off a little over 2.5gal of nuetral the other night, mixed with water to get 5 gal of 100proof, wrote it in my logbook, and put a tag on it saying 'removed from bond for research and development"

• edited April 2015

@CothermanDistilling said:

I see stinky feet in your future...

You know you can do well controlled 1L pilot batches with a GB4, right?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• True, but you cannot do the full range of boiler charge from 100 proof on down with a large boiler.... With this, you get the extraction from a pot still through the basket over the entire range, vs just, for example, 190 proof alcohol vapor going through your botanicals...

maybe do a water vapor vs an ethanol vapor through the GB4 to see the differences?

• edited April 2015

I charge my boiler with 600mL of azeotrope diluted to 20% and run it through the Carter head like a pot still. First runnings are ~85%. I collect down to ~20%. Aggregate = 950mL @ ~55%. Dump ~200mL of (very weak in flavor and undetectable alcohol) hydrosol out of the bottom of the Carter head via the 3/4" ball valve there.

Works really well.

Half barrel sanke keg boiler (unmodified except spear removed), plateless torpedo mounted on keg, GB4 mounted on torpedo, condenser on GB4. No parrot because the volumes are too small. Fired with a Bayou Classic propane burner, so no worries about keeping an electric element covered.

Azeotrope base spirit is 3X with no cuts needed for infusion run.

Going to try putting a bubble plate in the torpedo on the next run to see if copper contact makes a difference.

• ahhh... my fire marshal would shut me down if I lit a propane burner in my building.... and need several gallons for electric to work on my sankey...

• edited April 2015

The joy of being an amateur... ("...nudge, nudge, know what I mean, ay?")

• @Kapea said: The joy of being an amateur artisan... ("...nudge, nudge, know what I mean, ay?")

FTFY

FixedThatForYouPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Mucho mahalos!