StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Using the SD Parrot?

edited April 2015 in Accessories

I noticed that the SD parrot is meant to be connected to the condenser using a tri-clamp and a reducer.

In that configuration, it looks difficult to accurately count drops per second (for example), to fine-tune heat input and take-off rates, especially as one might want to do when collecting fores and heads. This wouldn't be an issue with other parrots that don't direct-connect to the condenser.

If you're using an SD parrot, how do you work around this issue? Just ignore it and wait until the distillate flows out of the parrot, and use that rate? Or maybe leave the parrot disconnected until after fores and heads, and then quickly clamp it in place?

Comments

• edited April 2015

I'm not sure that you have the full parrot setup?, do you have the valve on the bottom?

Its not just useful as a drainage but to collect first product without filling the parrot body.

Most of us have the valve open and collect from that with the fores at least, (some collect heads from that way as well), then turn the valve off and wait until parrot starts to fill and gently lower alc meter so main run is from the actual parrot outlet, into jars or connect a hose into a vessel whatever is your preference depending on product running, I use jars on spirit runs, a hose for stripping. Yell out if you want better pics to see.

fadge

Parrot pic from AU site @punkin

parrot.jpg
    173 x 200 - 5K
  • Ah! That makes good sense; thanks.

(I don't have one yet -- was just thinking about how I would use it if I did).

Looks like it might benefit from a small piece of copper or stainless scrubbing at the bottom, to keep the alcometer from accidentally bottoming-out and breaking. Otherwise, seems like a very nice design.

• I wouldn't even drop the alco into the vessel till after your heads cut.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @AceNZ said: Ah! That makes good sense; thanks.

(I don't have one yet -- was just thinking about how I would use it if I did).

Looks like it might benefit from a small piece of copper or stainless scrubbing at the bottom, to keep the alcometer from accidentally bottoming-out and breaking. Otherwise, seems like a very nice design.

@AceNZ, I just received my SD parrot on Wednesday and I will tell you that it is one sturdy piece of equipment; not hammered out of thin metal and definitely worth the coin. I am convinced that you could kill a man with it.....

• edited April 2015

@AceNZ said: Looks like it might benefit from a small piece of copper or stainless scrubbing at the bottom, to keep the alcometer from accidentally bottoming-out and breaking. Otherwise, seems like a very nice design.

It's an awesome design! I love it!

Best way to prevent the alcometer to drop to bottom is to lower it in after the parrot fills up and - out of experience - take it out when you shut off power AND before you drain the parrot

• You can also place a small wad of stainless steel scrubbie material in the parrot just in case you drop the alco, it will cushion it and prevent it from self destructing :-\" yup, been there done that.

• I watched a SD parrot video that showed how the valve works. Now I cannot find that video again. It's here somewhere.

What is neat is when you make cuts by ABV you can open the valve, drain the parrot completely, close the valve and start the next collection jar from scratch. As the volume of the parrot fills you have several seconds to place a new jar under the parrot beak before the flow starts from there again. No messy jar change-out. Discreet separation of cuts (minimal cross contamination/smearing) Very nice!

I too recently purchased a SD parrot, but have been too busy to take it for its inaugural flight. It sucks when your business gets in the way of your hobby. (Or maybe not. Success is cool too)

The SD parrot is heirloom quality. I keep it on my desk so I can look at it (incentive to work harder so I can have some time to use it).

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited April 2015

I use it as fadge does. Pretty sure the Dragon fire alcometers can be placed in dry, you can still just hold the top (i think) when you place it in.
    I do as others do and place it in when the parrot is nearly full, after fores and early heads cut, but during late heads.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• SASSAS
    edited April 2015

I use a SD pot still on a 1/4 keg. I made my own parrot out of copper inspired by the SD Parrot. I machined a copper fitting that connects to the bottom of the surge breaker with the Tri-clamp. I place the alcometer in the parrot dry at the beginning of the stripping run.

Proofing Parrot.jpg
    600 x 800 - 73K
    SD POT.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
  • edited April 2015

Very nice parrot @SAS! Cool stovetop setup too.

I finally got to use my SD parrot a few days ago. I've been taking grab samples to determine abv for years. Now, having continuous monitoring to look at, I can see what the affects to distillate abv are when making changes to defleg cooling water flow and heat input - in almost real time. There is a bit of delay as the parrot fills with new distillate after the change is made.

Another way to fine tune how I drive my bubbler. I like it. I like it a lot!

@Kapea said: What is neat is when you make cuts by ABV you can open the valve, drain the parrot completely, close the valve and start the next collection jar from scratch. As the volume of the parrot fills you have several seconds to place a new jar under the parrot beak before the flow starts from there again. No messy jar change-out. Discreet separation of cuts (minimal cross contamination/smearing) Very nice!

That should be discrete.

• Just did my first stripping run with my new SD parrot and PC. Couldn't believe how much less water I had to use to condense the vapor. It was also very nice to see the abv in real time, not having to pull and test samples. Guess it shouldn't be too surprising after looking at the comparison between my previous "condensor" and the new one.

March 2015 056.JPG
    600 x 800 - 141K
  • edited May 2015

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me the inside diameter of the parrot tube? I'm using a set of alco's (from www.allafrance.com) with a floatbody diameter of 20mm. Hope they fit in the SD parrot; working on a total switch-over from my old copper still to SD stainless potstill. Below a picture of my current copper parrot attached to the worm condenser. Greetings from Schiedam, Holland.

parrot.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
  • Hi......

I have started sipping already and only put the ruler to the parrot but it looks like 28 mm for the ID.

• It's still before noon out here in UTC -10, so no sipping for me yet.

My SD parrot is 28mm ID too.

• Cheers Kapea