StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My New Mash Tun Screen

2»

Comments

• Sounds like a good plan!

On the top screen, did you put something around the edges to protect from scratches or sort it from the bottom?

• edited August 2015

Many commercial mash tuns are now being fitted out with Wedge-Wire false bottoms such as Lauter Tun Screens @UBO

• I just built a second one for my 600L tank.
    It uses a 6mm screen for support on the base.
    Sitting on top of that is a wedgwire screen, scraps salvaged from shower bases, this is for structural support.
    Sitting on top of that is the screen with 2mm holes, this can be easily changed out to larger or smaller holes if needed.

The screen and the wedgwire are held together at the middle with a stainless 6mm eye bolt. I can hook onto this and lift it out for cleaning.

New grist mill should turn up next week so I'll get a chance to test the screen out late next week.

New grist mill in the workshop just before it's packed off:
    The rollers are 9" dia by 6".

1.jpg
    449 x 800 - 46K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 79K
    3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 75K
    4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 91K
    5.jpg
    800 x 450 - 87K
    6.jpg
    800 x 450 - 63K
    8.jpg
    451 x 800 - 43K
    7.jpg
    800 x 450 - 128K
  • I've been toying around with the idea of a wedge wire vibratory separator for post distillation. Was intimidated by the fab and sourcing. TMW how did you fab that? Was it in sheet form or did you weld?

• The wedgwire was from offcuts of shower base stock material left lying around on the shop floor in the metal shop. It was welded together to form the circle I needed. Wedgwire is bloody expensive to buy but most metal shops that do shower grates should have surplus.

• Looks really good.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How snug is your fit to the sides of the tun?

I'm trying to figure out how much grain can slip past if the gap is too big...

• Thought you might be interested in some commercial wedge wire lauter tun screen specs I've found: 93V wedge wire on .074" × 3/4" support rods at 1 1/2" centers. Nominal slot openings: 0.030". 1/8" × 1" banding around each section Type 304 stainless steel.

• Thanks @crozdog. Looks like they have .75 to 1mm openings. That's half of TMW.

I'm staying curious as to what's the perfect size is

• Hi @unsensible, just looked back through my emails found a note stating that the ideal is 0.8-1.2 mm gap which is similar to your dimensions

• @Unsensibel the fit is really snug! But thanks to the flimsy wall thickness of the tank the tank is able to adjust to fit the screen. I was aware at the start of this that a standard wedgwire was 0.7mm. And given that I was placing a perf sheet onto a screen that would block a good number of the existing holes I decided to try 2mm first. I'll let you know how long it takes when I get to do the run in just over a week from now.

• Awesome! Thanks to all for the inputs!!!

• @crozdog - Thanks a ton! I'll see how much they're running for my tun.

• no prob. Want to get 1 for my 200l tun too. Plus one to go on top of the braumeister clone i'm slowly building