StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

School Recommendations

I was wondering if the SD family had any recommendations for Distilling schools or if I should even bother. I have been doing this unprofessionally for a long time and am about to start a business but there are a lot of things that I have not messed with yet. A lot of I's I want to Dot before I want to jump in the big leagues. I have no experience with grain, nor do I have a clue how to use professional equipment. The business side of it wont be to much of a problem since I will have my business degree soon. I just really want to do this right. I have found 5 day workshops of all price ranges, and even one on one training. I'm just wondering what y'all have heard or if one of you pros want to take me under your wing.

Comments

• How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• ummm... one step at a time?

• edited March 2015

Take 6th towards Central Park and make a left on 57th.

Seems like nearly every brand new distillery is selling a class on how to be an expert at running a distillery a month after they open their doors. Probably would avoid those.

That said, having worked with Dave Dunbar, who is part of the SIPS team, and Rusty Figgins being a friend of this community, why go anywhere else? I hadn't. But had I known then what I know now, I'd probably have gone there.

• edited March 2015

I did a two day at 45th Parallel in Wisconsin who have been providing classes for close to 10 years. The class is very laid back, but hands on. You mash two batches, and then do a low and high whiskey run as well as a vodka run.

45th Parallel Distillery - Distilling Training

• Worldwide community mate, it would help if you said where you wanted to take a class.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• IMHO.. Best bang for the buck. . If you are in the U S ..call Rusty Figgins

• edited April 2015

@punkin said: Worldwide community mate, it would help if you said where you wanted to take a class.

Honestly @punkin, I'm open to go anywhere. I guess the cheaper route is somewhere in the states though.

• I was thinking I saw a post somewhere about some institute in the states that has a week long thing, covers both manufacture and legalities - 3 grand USD + one's personal expenses during the week (in room entertainment not incl).

I cannot find/remember what it was called now...

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

• We always recommend Rusty Figgins SIPS class.......Spirits Institute of Pugent Sound.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @gman said: IMHO.. Best bang for the buck. . If you are in the U S ..call Rusty Figgins

Agree

• Thanks I'll give him a call asap.

• Has anyone any experience with ACDU?

• edited April 2015

I thought the 3 day class at Koval in Chicago was a good bang for the buck. I think it's like $800. And it covered pretty much everything. Not as much hands on as others, but helpful: Kothe 3day Training

• edited April 2015

I also thought the Koval/Kothe class was a good deal, I think we did it when it was $700 or $750 (Inflation I guess).

Robert is a really good guy, and knows his stuff. If I hit the lottery, he's going to get a phone call.

Of course, like everything else good, too short!

• @grim & @DocPorter - I have the Koval class already done & liked it a lot from the business/marketing side. Still looking for additional education.

This one looks tempting as you get the distance-ed which I liked a lot during college...

• I talked to mr. Figgins and plan on doing the SIPS class in June. One thing I like so far too about that class is that Dave Dunbar is one of the teachers. I talked to him last night about getting my letter sent off to the ttb and he is a nice guy with a lot of knowledge. That class is only 1300 or so.