StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Traditional Caribbean Rum Maker

13»

Comments

• y'all in FL might want to wake up early on August 1st and get to Sarasota at 7am, their Distiller's Reserve Spiced rum is being released at 9am...... it is one of the best rums in the country right now.... I can promise you that you will not be sorry... unless you sleep in... (a little bird told me they are potentially looking at this system, so I am kinda on topic ;-) )

• Dag gummit I will be in Miami on that date ~X(

• @CothermanDistilling said: y'all in FL might want to wake up early on August 1st and get to Sarasota at 7am, their Distiller's Reserve Spiced rum is being released at 9am...... it is one of the best rums in the country right now.... I can promise you that you will not be sorry... unless you sleep in... (a little bird told me they are potentially looking at this system, so I am kinda on topic ;-) )

They are doing a great job over there. I always have one of there bottles on the shelf.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2015

• I guess they don't include French West Indies. Not much on Rhum Agricole.
    I came back from France this year with a suit case full :)
    Any English speakers have an interest in it?

• @jacksonbrown said: I guess they don't include French West Indies. Not much on Rhum Agricole.
    I came back from France this year with a suit case full :)
    Any English speakers have an interest in it?

Never had the opportunity to try it but would jump at the chance. I've actually thought of trying it since sugar cane grows here. Just don't know how I would squeeze it. That cane is tough. I believe that you could kill a man with a stalk of it.

• edited October 2015

Well if you’ve never had it, in a blind tasting I think you probably guess tequila rather than rum. It doesn’t really taste like a normal rum at all. The Blanc one I have is from Martinique and it's got a really strange nose to it.

Brazilian cachaça is pretty similar. Do they have Pitú in your local?

• I have no idea. I'm relatively new to the whole rum thing. Was at our yearly "man" trip in the forest last December when a friend from Jamaica hooked me up with Appleton on the rocks. Always considered myself a whiskey kind of guy but my world changed on that day. Surprised that I even remember it. I've pretty much kicked whiskey to the curb and dedicated my distilling craft to rum. If I could come up with ONE good reason and justification, I would scratch a check to Smaug for that rig and be in hog heaven. For right now, I don't need it, I just WANT IT!

• It's got me thinking too.
    A detailed process flow might help convince me.
    Currently I'm aiming for single run with a one or two hour, 100%RR stage for esterification followed by what ever RR is required to my hearts to come off at 80% to 65%, probably close to 0 i.e. pot mode.

How would one drive a thing like that?

Is it only the vapour that heats the thumpers or do you need to pre-heat?
    Do the thumpers just stay charged or is there a lot of set up time in charging and heating.
    I'm intrigued but there's a lot of unknowns there (for me anyway).

• edited October 2015

Its all power management.

The retorts are set up for heat to help bring them online faster but ordinarily they are parasitic.

• Write the check that's a reason....

• I like the way you think

• @FloridaCracker said: I have no idea. I'm relatively new to the whole rum thing. Was at our yearly "man" trip in the forest last December when a friend from Jamaica hooked me up with Appleton on the rocks. Always considered myself a whiskey kind of guy but my world changed on that day.

Get yourself a bottle of Mt Gay Extra Old i reckon that is the benchmark in smooth dark rum I've tried plenty more expensive rums but always come back to it. Handful of ice in a pint glass double shot top up with coke. best way to melt away an afternoon!!!

• old thread i know but hmmm how do i make a small version of this...

• @cleadus1 said: old thread i know but hmmm how do i make a small version of this...

Make what? Double Retort Distiller or.....

• edited April 2017

with milk cans.

50loilrig1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited April 2017

@punkin said: with milk cans.

Prolly not a bad way to do some grain in distilling with electric elements as well....

• edited April 2017

You know Punkin - it would be pretty cool to load up the left can with low wines or low wines + feints and the right can with grain-in wash.

Completely backwards deliciously dirty whiskey?

• edited April 2017

Would work just fine Grim. Great simple way to do grain in whiskey, could be a good alternative to those who want to do bourbon at home. Maybe do the first ever mash in the second pot with water in the first and from then on use the strip and feints for a charge with another mash in the second pot?

No more trying to separate corn means half the problems solved. The other half (the cooking) could also be done in the rig with steam injection.

Could do the Rum Distiller with a 120 pot belly boiler leading to the two cans, could even power the cans like the original concept by Larry.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking - first strip with water, second and ongoing would strip+wash and whatever feints percentage works well.

• If you are doing a grain-in distillation, do you leave the yeast in as well? Or just decant the grain and wort off​ together leaving the yeast behind?

• Everyone in the pool

• Just thinking I hav 3 empty kegs sitting in the garage..

• I'm trying this very good Idea ! Thanks

• On a system like this is there a diffuser of sorts in the can to the right? Would you use something like a thru wall tri clamp fitting perforated to your taste?

• Could put a filter disc on the ferulle if you wanted to.