StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Traditional Caribbean Rum Maker

Comments

• Heated thumpers?

• @grim said: Heated thumpers?

As an option to allow the end user to have the ability to bring the system on line more quickly.

The thumper otherwise will not have a naturally occurring gradient.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited April 2015

The vapor piping has been converted to a real manifold so that bypass valves can be added.

This gives the end user the ability/flexibility to keep fores out of either retort.

The valves also give the user the ability to charge the low wines retort at the end of every run to prep for the forthcoming run...if you see my meaning?

Further, the high wines retort can be charged at the start of every run/on the fly.

Not at all implying that the system needs to be run that way but the option is now available for optimal flexibility without compromising the ability to keep it old school "Caribbean".

• What a rig @Smaug , just awesome. When u getting back from ADI?

• Back now.

• edited April 2015

No feints receivers?

Belay that. I see where you're heading. But you 'may' have issues. I'll post a pic & some info you can use...

Jamaica Rum.PNG
    742 x 707 - 156K
  • @Harry said: No feints receivers?

Nothing dedicated yet Harry.

• You won't need the manifold system & diverter valves. If there's no liquid in the retorts (thumpers) then it's straight through vapor to the worm (single distilling). Using feints receivers you can accumulate heads & tails separately, and mix them with water in the right proportions to use as retort charges, for heavy Jamaica rums. Lighter styles like Demerara just use water only in the retorts.

HTH

• Hi Harry. Thanks for chiming in.

The manifold design is intended for maximum flexibilty.

Certainly the end user can choose to not include the valved manifold system. Though the cost for having the valves is minimal when considering all of the costs associated with the entire build out.

• I personally like having receiver tanks for spirits or cooling water be the stands... build the stand the right way, and get a free set of tanks...

• We can do them with or with out.

• So this system is finished and will ship within days. It is beautiful.

• edited July 2015

We elected not to go with the worm. Just not enough knock down power. This of course would have greatly affected the intended flexibility of this system.

We decided to go with a 6" shot gun with 61/ 10 mm thru tubes. The 8" version of this free standing condenser has 91/ 10 mm thru tubes.

Simply can not overwhelm that condenser for our purposes!

• I am so excited to see some detailed photos of this copper topped behemoth in all it's glory. The inovation continues at SD and we are bringing more and better quality products than ever.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I am posting this photo for @Smaug.... It is the finished product ready to ship: "THE Traditional Caribbean Rum Maker"

And WOW is it BEAUTIFUL =D>

stilldragonCopper.jpg
    800 x 450 - 66K
  • Out of this world!!!

• HOLY SHIT! Gotta build a bigger garage.

• I have better pics at the office. This one here doesn't show the condenser and collection vessel.

I post a few more on Monday. Thanks for putting that one up Fully.

• What is the cost and where is it going?

• Next level, congrats to everyone. Is that a 4" header? I don't want to know what those valves cost.

• Fuck me, I love it. Sadly I'm running out of room for all the cool shiny things I'd like :( After Easter 2017 I'll have room for this :)

• Those boilers look fabulous. Are they going to be stock items or just special order?

• We originally did this to speculate. It is really a pet project because I cant stop thinking about rum most days.

Shindig, outside interest was almost immediate. We have two perspective buyers that are very interested but there has been no $ commitment yet. Both potential buyers are based here in Florida. This system will retail here in the states for $43,500. This system will be landing on my floor first so that we can give it a once over and also hug it and kiss it and love it. Ordinarily, we prefer to inspect all tanks ourselves before they go out.

May I add that I have a proposal for a full system from a very prestigious still manufacturer who's first initial is K. The kettle alone retails for $78,000 and has a copper wall thickness of 4 mm. The copper wall thickness on this StillDragon system is 5mm.............

Myles, at the moment we do not have immediate plans to keep a system like this in stock but may well do so if demand for the system is similar to our other kettles.

Grim let me confirm the pricing for those 4" valves. We will be stocking those btw.

• edited July 2015

Here is a better picture of the full system.

We had a bit of communication break down as the collection vessel was supposed to be designed to fit under the table.

It is on wheels however and should still be quite user friendly. It is 150L.

We can also put an onion or helmet on the primary kettle, but quite frankly with the retorts in place any performance improvements would be minimal if at all measurable. Though I could see the end user bypassing both retorts and sending vapor straight to the product condenser.

Something to think about!

StillDragon_Rum_Distillery_Inspection_06.jpg
    800 x 600 - 117K

• edited July 2015

@grim

Those 4" 3 way valves are $525 each.

• Damn Smaugly just beautiful!!

• Thanks Rock. There is more on the way.

• @Smaug is that L port or T port or just specify when placing the order?

• For this system we are using T port.

But you can specify if you are looking for one or the other.