Sweet Bourbon

Using a ujsm with raw sugar I am on to about 10 gen each distill is on different wood and some with essences .

I taste each each occasionally they are all sweet tasting .

our drink of choice is old crow.

any suggestions

thanks

starkid

Comments

• What was the question?

• I have the same results. I call my UJSSM a kind of hybrid Rum/Whiskey because it DEFINITELY has a rum character to it. I don't mind the sweet but at times I want a whiskey that will knock my dick in the dirt. Whenever I used to buy store bought to mix, it was usually Wild Turkey 101. I'm sure the sweet is from the sugar but I would sure like more grain flavor without the mashing hassle. I've added malted barley and it helps a bit.

• I know nothing about bourbon and sour mash whisky in general. I normally drink aged rum or single malt.

Its just personal taste but I don't like JD but I DO like Buffalo Trace.

If anyone can explain the difference between them and give me a grain bill for the Buffalo Trace style of spirit it would be appreciated.

• Sorry Mech.

all my bourbon distils have a very sweet taste,Old Crow is not sweet to taste '

I use a backset of 25% each time and rain water. I am trying different woods and % but allways the sweetness is there .

Question is how to get rid of sweet in liquor ?.

cheers.

Starkid

• Probably have to go to an all grain and lose the sugar. Also, oak will add a vanilla type of sweetness.

• @Myles, here is some info on mash bills, BT uses several. Maybe @Moonshine can put it somewhere so id does not get lost in the depths of the threads..

American Whiskies, Bourbons and Ryes (See all 4 Sheets) @ Google Docs

• Just a hint for you;

Late heads are sweet.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• First thing in the morning is pretty fuckin good too! :D

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• What SG do you finish at?

• @Kapea yer I remember that , long time ago

• edited March 2015

@TheMechWarrior 1.000 or lower I leave for at least 3 weeks and taste is dry.

I have decided to go away from ujsm and go the all grain way..
    saying this my fruit brews taste great ,apricot
    brandy processed to a liquor is tasty , sucked on it today before lunch ,love it..

made plum brandy and is steeped on plumbs ,taste at this stage is good ..
    when ready wife will make a pudding with plums.

but bourbon I can drink it sweet but wife won't . so will try all grain way and oak barrel..
    Also grape harvest here, got hold of red grapes 30 lt bucket ,followed wine makers instructions ,ended up with 13 lts red wine @ 6% dumped in 3.2lts 70% 3 times distilled thru Ace of clean spirit, Should end up with a mean port.

:bz

• Try dropping the corn ratio in your bourbon gain bill to reduce the sweetness of your spirit.

• edited March 2015

Hi all, had the same thing going on. I went from sugar to dextrose 8kg 4kg cracked corn, 1kg ottars malt,500 g malted wheat, 500g rye. Mixed all grain and soaked in bag at 60 c for 2 hour. Added to fermenter mixed in dextrose and 20Lt of backset, toped up with filtered water to 45Lt,pitch yeast. leave for 5 to 6 weeks then distill. Comes out nice after 10 weeks on @punkin's dominos.