StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

StillDragon North America Bulletin Board

Comments

• thanks, I ran some rum with one plate on my pot still it came out full flavor. and about 60% on one run. Im going to try 2 plates next to see if I can up the alcohol but hold flavor. great product

• bwrag .... what plates and what reflux condenser were you using.. SD's plates with the bubble caps and bubble tee's?

• Im using the 4" plates with 2 2" to 4" reducers to hold it. I have a 2" dual purpose from mile high i put on top of that for my neutrals and a traditional pot still head I put on top for my whiskey and rums. I had the mile high prior to ever hearing about still dragon otherwise I would have all still dragon. great quality, service, and most importantly shipping time.

Prior to installing the bubble plate on my reflux it would take me roughly 4 hrs to distill a neutral run. and I would have to constantly adjust temp or water. I instaled the bubble plate and I took me 2 hrs and I never adjusted flame or flow i got 94% abv. I cant wait to see how adding a 2nd plate will change it.

I like the idea of the tees. and i might add one later but for now the reducers are working great. my 2 plate set up will be 2-4 reducer>plate>6x4 pipe > plate>2-4 reducer

• What reflux condenser are you using to load the plates? the one in the mile high column?

SD has those 4 to 2 reducers with a sight glass opening built in...

• I figure thats a really good improvement. The biggest benefit is the stability for the duration of the run IMO.

Thanks for the kind words bwrag as I move both feet into full on growing pains territory. We are making strides to transition into more efficient order processing....Really thankful that our customers have been patient....FYI,,,I am here for you as well as the entire network of SD team members.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• It is all anticipation Smaug and nothing less,our hobby does not depend on speed it is patience!

It is what you make it!

• FullySilenced - yea im using the mile high reflux jacket. I seen those with sight glasses, and will probaly get one in future, I just wanted to go most cost effective at first because I didnt know what reulsts would be. Now that I now they drasticly improved my previous method I will venture into more of the uperend items.

Smaug. improing the stability is a under statement it. I dont want any of my friends to see how easy the plate made things, theyll start making there own. Your doing great

One question for whom ever is. when Im running the plates with a pot still should i precharge them if so should I use alchol or mash. My guess is alcohol or dont precharge them.

• No need to precharge

It is what you make it!

• thanks bentstick, plates are new to me input is greatly appreciated

• To elaborate a little more the plates themselves will not hold liquid(none for a perforated plate) maybe a very small amount for bubble caps,before you have vapor rising up the column,the downcomer caps will hold fluid but not much,so to get anything on the plates ahead of reflux from the reflux condenser is pretty much non beneficial.

It is what you make it!

• FYI you guys, I now have 4 complete "GB4" Gin Basket assemblies available.

• @smaug is it my ipad or are these not listed on your site yet?

• They are not up yet. Please email for any particulars.

• What's the Price :) I bet we can sell them here before you have to put them up on the site!

• $400

• Are the perf plates going to be avaialbe in the US any time soon? I'd love to compare them to the bubble plates...

• Just browsing through the forum and found this topic. I have 2 comments to make.

1. Those can stands are nice - are they compatible for size and weight with the 50 and 100 litre kegs?

2. Lloyd don't let Smaug get a secretary!! I am sure she would turn out to be a gorgeous blond with long legs and a great tan. You have to think about his health - it won't do him any good to have his heart beating that fast. :))

• @Myles said: Just browsing through the forum and found this topic. I have 2 comments to make.

1. Those can stands are nice - are they compatible for size and weight with the 50 and 100 litre kegs?

2. Lloyd don't let Smaug get a secretary!! I am sure she would turn out to be a gorgeous blond with long legs and a great tan. You have to think about his health - it won't do him any good to have his heart beating that fast. :))

Maybe @Smaug can try out a keg on a stand for us. My keg is so heavily modified it wouldn't get a good reading. It should work... I measure about 36.5cm ID of the stand ring and about 34cm or diameter of my 50L keg.

I've seen a picture of his gorgeous wife, I don't know how the man can stay focused on shipping out the goods. I do agree that a truly ugly secretary with good data entry skills should earn a higher salary :)

• I'll check the 13 and the 15.5 to see if either fits. My new helper is quite good actually. But she is a he so there are no distractions.

• The 13 fits like a glove. The 15.5 does not fit.

• You are saying that a 15.5 gallon US keg does not fit the stand that was made for the 50L milk can? Hum, thats interesting to know. When I had it built I never thought about a keg to be used with it, how much room does it need to be able to fit?

Probably moot anyway as legs on a keg are just so easy and cheap to do. Yes?

• Lloyd, it looks like 1" would be very close but 1.25" would allow it to fit as the 13 gallon keg does. BTW the 13 gallon is not a domestic keg. My 15.5 is from the King.

• Yes, about 2 years ago I bought a new keg from Qingdao. No small feat that as they wanted me to buy 100 kegs as a "sample" order!
    Its 50L and I doubt it measures the same as a USA keg. As Smaug noted its a tad smaller than his standard USA keg.

It has been a workhorse and except for a few fumble finger spill stains it is just as good as the day that I got it. In my opinion, whoever was the first person to think up using a beer keg as a home distiller's boiler deserves a Nobel prize or something.

If you're not trying to make money by selling booze and only needing to keep yourself and a few loved ones supplied with high quality hooch then its hard to beat a beer keg boiler.

• @Lloyd - "legs on a keg"

We must of been at the same bucks party....

• We added a page on the website explaining our freight policy, for those who don't already know.

http://www.stilldragon.com/shipping-charges-and-policy.html

• edited August 2013

Next round of boilers is clearing for release. You folks waiting that have not secured your tank can get ready at your soonest convenience.

• what kind of boilers you talking about? (milk cans or biggns )?

• The commercial tanks.

Milk cans are already in stock.

• Looking forward to picking up my new 8" dash 2 and 380 with agitator tomorrow from the trucking company tomorrow......Thanks man.. For all of you who haven't purchased anything from SD America. The customer service is awesome. This is my second complete dash 2 that I am purchasing.. First one was a 4 inch and 200 liter boiler and now the 8"......Getting closer to getting my distillery open.. Heard there is a new one up the road from me in Alabama.......

• Ok USA,,,,the mold fees for our EZ Flanges are paid for. We can now lower the price to pass along the savings.

The 2" brass ferrule is retailed now at $12. We begin now to vend them for $8.50. The 3" brass ferrule is retailed now at $14. We begin now to vend them for $10.50. The 4" brass ferrule is retailed now at $18. We begin now to vend them for $13.50.

Price change is effective immediately.

Thanks to all of you that helped to drive down cost for these items. cheers Smaug