Peach Supply

edited March 2015 in Recipes

I have gotten access to a reasonable amount of ripened peaches and after searching on here I haven't found much info.

So my plan is to cut them in half remove the stone (as its bad?) freeze them to break them up and then ferment on them with added water and DAP as required.

Is this technically a brandy? Any hints? I know that peaches are about half way up on the sugar scale so if I fill a ferment or I probably won't add extra sugar unless you think other wise.

Comments

• edited March 2015

I've done peaches. Save yourself a stack of work and freeze them whole. Then a sharpened motar mixer on a large drill will make peach paste with skins and seeds.
    Filter through a colander made from small chicken wire and get most of the skins and all of the seeds then ferment.

Peaches are pretty hard to retain a lot of flavour, i did a peach only ferment and then a 100% backset ferment with sugar. You can blend these or keep them seperate.

My best use of the peaches was blending peach with ujsm for Peaches and Corn. Still have a bottle somewhere.

Peaches and Corn @ AD

fermenters1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Peaches are high in yeast nutrients. DAP addition is not necessary.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Kapea we talked about sea grapes once upon a time. Did you say you did or did not ferment a batch?

Sorry for derailing your thread Ginger.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Prickley pears (cactus fruit) from the beachfront dunes at Playalinda as a flavor adjunct in mead. Never tried fermenting sea grapes

• Ah. FYI one of re local breweries has cultivated some yeast from the sea grape skins and is brewing a "local" beer with said yeast. They are also using some sea grape wood adjunct within the barrel.

I have not tried the "local" beer yet but do look forward to doing so.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• During our blueberry harvest this Spring I am hoping to collect some of our local yeast off of the berries. Might be able to capture a strain that will be unique and actually work for what I do.

• @ginger - how did it turned out? I just started the fermenting on 25 lbs of peaches plus 2 kg of sugar. Got a good deal and thought why not?

I did cut to remove the core and then pureed with hand blender in bucket. (That lead to the next item on shopping list - mortar mixer!) Put 3 tsp of pectic enzyme in, waited for an hour and then pitched EC1118. Punched the cap down already twice.

• Ferment seems to be done. Reading still some small gravity but I assume that's due to the solid for now. Charged the still with half of the wine & topped off with 3 gal of water for better viscosity. Running my beer pump through warm up to prevent scorching. Will see how it turns out.

• If you need pectin enzyme and don't have any on hand, pineapple juice works very well. It is loaded with pectin enzymes (if it hasn't been pasteurized). I've stopped using powdered enzymes and use fresh pineapple juice now instead.

It's good to have a pineapple patch! Damn things grow like weeds around here...

• Michigan weather doesn't quite support a pineapple patch.

Heard about pineapple but it's cheaper here to go to the hbs.

Run was good though. Ran with 2 x 4" pp plus packed copper section above RC as catalyst. Was reading a lot about peaches and everyone said that they're weak in aroma when distilled. First three jars were bland but then the next five had tons of smell and flavor!!! Overall impressed. If only the yield would be a little better...

Also, I thought puking was mainly an issue with my AG brews but peaches are just as bad.

Now waiting for the Apple and cherry season to start!

• The closest I have ever come to "brown foam out of the parrot" was when I tried to run a blueberry mash. You kinda get used to a certain type of foam and then when you try something new it can surprise you. Glad your peach stuff came out better than my blueberry disaster.

• brown foam out the parrot gave me inspiration one day. It was a stripping run of UJSM, not long after i picked up the hobby.
    It was my first puke and i saved it anyway as it was a strip.

The resultant spirit run had more flavour by a long margin and a better kind of flavour too and that is what inspired me to set aside wash for adding to my spirit runs. I usually add 10-20% wash and it makes a very noticeable difference.

It's now a recognised and common practice, probably was before too, but i'd never seen anyone mention it till then and accused the older guys on HD at the time of keeping secrets. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand