StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Dunder Pit Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Still mourning the loss of the original Dunder Pit that spawned this thread.

Like losing a friend :((

FC

• edited September 2019

@FloridaCracker said: Still mourning the loss of the original Dunder Pit that spawned this thread. Like losing a friend :((

Hey Ron! @FloridaCracker

You ever get your "new and improved" dunder pit up and producing?

Mike

• No.

Sometimes there just isn't any going back. I've mostly been making AG whiskies since the Dunder passed away. The rum that I have been making lately has been using backset kissed by the Dunder years ago. In a way, the Dunder lives on but not in the traditional sense of adding it to a wash.

Perhaps this thread will keep the Dunder's memory alive. Punkin also mourned it's loss and took it almost as hard as I did.

FC

• Done poisoned it's own self.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi all

thank you so much for this.

as a new person to this hobby I can only thank you for all the work you have done before me.

I had so many question so I'm really hoping the tread is not totally dead.

• Dunder never dies

• @grim said: Dunder never dies

:-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• As the OP of this informative thread, I can say that I miss the original dunder that spawned this discussion. All that is left is whatever is lurking in my continual backset that I add to each run. The possibilities with an aged dunder are endless and I would LOVE to see some of the muck-pits that the Caribbean guys use

• @FloridaCracker said: As the OP of this informative thread, I can say that I miss the original dunder that spawned this discussion. All that is left is whatever is lurking in my continual backset that I add to each run. The possibilities with an aged dunder are endless and I would LOVE to see some of the muck-pits that the Caribbean guys use

I think I have a water bottle you gave me...

• The sins of the Father passed to the son @FloridaCracker and @CothermanDistilling

Seems like you could clone the dunder back to life and with the seeded returns.

I have started my dunder drums! Popped in some curb side harvest cane that had been growing way to long. The roots were sprouting half way up!!! Following the original recipe I will wait for them to sprout then pop them into the garden to bare fruit. the inspiration lives on

• edited February 2022

Lurker, first time posting. Just wanted to stop in and say...
    This comment didn't age very well.

image.jpg
    800 x 498 - 42K
  • Sorry, his comment or mine?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Sorry, his comment or mine?

Yours. Eat any bat soup lately?

• edited February 2022

Beyond a bit of house keeping, there really is no moderating here to speak of.

I'll politely ask, are you going to contribute to the thread / subject matter?

Or just try to be provocative with meaningless, off topic comments?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Ok so on a related topic has anyone ever had to move their dunder pit? I have two 100L plastic barrels that I use for my dunder pits. I need to move them as I can't lift 100 kg and load them to a new premises. Are there any precautions I should take when transferring to smaller containers? My idea was to transfer the liquid content of about 50L from each drum to smaller handle able containers. The remaining 50 per drum will go into some stripping runs so that I can get as much flavor as I can. then move the drums add in the old generation dunder with all the goodness in them and slowly build up the volume with some spent wash.

• edited February 2022

@HbPs said: Yours. Eat any bat soup lately?

Fairly clear I'm alive.

I attribute that to staying away from dunder pits and eating plenty of Chinese food.

CaseProvenPunkin

• Oof... Bet you guys are a real hoot at parties.

• so seeing this thread is all about the dunder pits, could anyone assist me. I had my two dunder pits in 100L plastic drums and smells were all good. Then transferred to a 4000L stainless tank outside. i was think this would be a great as there is more liquid to develop flavours. at first it was beautiful with all the right fruity smells coming off it. the tank is outside in the warm heat. then now as changing from summer to winter it just went off. the smells coming off were bad. so i sealed it up and will see.

my question is do i dump it and start again as its not full do i use it in a small batch run or do i run it on its own and then add it back? Ps. i have read that traditional dunder pits stank so bad they made you gag. mine is currently pretty close to that

• Dump it.

Hate to break the news but it should smell pleasant. The dunder will let you know when it is bad.

FC

• It'll stink, dunder pits are going to be creating acids like:

Propionic Acid Lactic Acid Butyric Acid

At any appreciable concentrations, it should smell like vomit, rotting cheese, old sweaty socks, sour milk, etc etc etc.

• @FloridaCracker said: Hate to break the news but it should smell pleasant. The dunder will let you know when it is bad.

@grim said: At any appreciable concentrations, it should smell like vomit, rotting cheese, old sweaty socks, sour milk, etc etc etc.

Now I am confused :-j

• Though it was a sad day i decided to dump the whole pit. what started out as beautiful fermenting fruit smell in the dunder pit last ended up smelling closer to raw sewage. i did do a run with this dunder and found that this flavour carried over into the product rather more than i would have liked it to. so here to starting it all again. @FloridaCracker I can understand your pain of loosing the great dunder pit.

• edited June 2023

@richard said: Now I am confused :-j

My experience is that the vomit smell will evolve.

If it smells like the land fill / rotting leaves, pour it on the ground.

Butric Acid vs Hydrogen Sulfied

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Sorry for the confusion @richard.

Think of these dunder pits like children; Some are easy to deal with and really make you proud but can go astray at any given time.