StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Reflux Still from SD Parts

2»

Comments

• You can build a VM without a physical vapour control valve.

Dad does it with a coil. It is still a valve, he just replaces the VM valve with a moveable condenser. I would do the same job with double dephlegmators. Of course I too would still have a valve, just in the coolant path instead of in the vapour path.

I actually like CM option, but if you control vapour flow with a condenser, a physical valve, or a moveable coil you still do the same thing. Just in different ways.

• Yes i know Myles, Manu showed us.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• The one and only limit to my open top CCVM is getting to zero reflux while running.

I see the point that a "T" would work. So having a movable coil while capping the top would be the trick.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Do you have a diagram of the dual dephleg concept @Myles?

• edited February 2015

Just a quick sketch up. It is a VM but it uses a dephlegmator to replace the VM product valve. Your actual control would be via flow control of coolant. Both dephlegmators need to be capable of 100% reflux. The one on the right acts as the reflux condenser, the one on the left as the product valve. You will always get a 50/50 split of vapour in the T, your control mechanism regulates how much of the 50% in the product branch would get through.

To be honest though I am not sure if this configuration would have any benefit over a straight CM design. If you are already using a dephlegmator (CM) at any point in the design, I suspect you might as well stick with a pure CM as you may not see the benefits of the VM principle.

SD VM Option.jpg
    593 x 765 - 16K
  • edited February 2015

CCVM = Coil Controlled VM?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited February 2015

@Kapea said: CCVM = Coil Controlled VM?

Just in time, my latest addition to our Distiller's Glossary: ;)

CCVM
    Condenser Controlled Vapor Management: A type of reflux still which is controlled by a movable cooling coil instead of of a valve typical for a VM still.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• daddad
    edited February 2015

moonshine...Condenser Controlled Vapor Management

Nothing to do with coolant control. I set the min flow to keep the coolant exiting at 140F. Usually that's a liter per minute for me. 140F allows a buffer for minor water flow changes (she flushes the toilet).

Infinitely positionable from nothing, drops to 1:1.

Movable Reflux Condenser II.jpg
    675 x 442 - 46K
    3 positions.jpg
    800 x 463 - 53K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Yes that's how mine worked. I used that method to determine how much of the condenser I was using at full power.

I then raised it out of the way using a screwdriver jammed between the coils until I managed to find a permanent solution...at no point during this process did a light bulb go off in my head telling me I could have used this as a control method!

I was too busy managing "the issues" at the time to consider the opportunity that presented itself right before me.

• edited February 2015

Manu De Hanoi was the first i saw to come up with it back in '10.

Condenser control still @ AD

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yep, that's Manu's brain child.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I was around at the time and thought it was brilliant...and still the penny didn't drop when by accident I did something similar. 2010 was a great year for distilling R&D.

• I have a short 2" crossflow condensor in the shed somewhere.