StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

BSP vs. NPT

I'm thinking about copying Lloyds modification to the PC/RC and have a 1/2" nipple welded on my condensers.

SD in the US only carries BSP threaded and I want to interface with an NPT male.

=> Is this going to fit???
Checked on the internet and it looks like both in 1/2" have the same pitch but one has rounded peaks & valleys vs. flattened...

Tagged:

Comments

• NPT vs. BSP Pipe @ PIPE and HOSE READ READ READ they don't mate really...

• they don't fit perfectly, but they fit way better than 3/4".. I suggest using smaller fittings like compression, but do not want to hijack the thread.. will start a new one, @Unsensibel

Correction, I will just link to this thread, it is a good one....

• Not compatible, and slightly different thread count per inch, but in some sizes almost compatible. It tends to damage both threads so it is no use in joints you need to take apart and remake on a regular basis. Also no good in high pressure situations.

• edited February 2015

@FullySilenced - that's what I was looking at. For 1/2" pitch is exactly the same though (14)

@CothermanDistilling - I've already went through the thread and what I'm doing is the same except I'm wondering if the nipple from SD (@ $1.50) works vs. Grainger (@ $5.50). Planning on getting a 1/2" MNPT to 1/4" compression from Brewershardware for the sensor mounting.

@Myles - Thread count is the same for 1/2". That's the reason for me asking in the first place.

Looks like I'm trying to be too frugal here... ;-)
    Not worth the risk of leakage for 4 bucks.

Thanks all for the feedback!

• @Unsensibel same pitch different angles and at the root

here is an image of the 2 thread profiles

diferencas_conexao_bsp_npt.jpg
    387 x 237 - 17K
  • I've found NPT fits into BSP a lot better than BSP into NPT.
    I use a lot of Teflon tape.

Said it before, will say it again, if I had to do it all over again I'd have gone all metric and stopped ALL of this confusion. But with so many thousands of SD fittings out there its damn hard to change now.

• $7.50 and no welding... just drill a hole, tap 1/8" NPT, drill the fitting through, screw in fitting and done... maybe use an o-ring or teflon ferule if you want to be fancy...

coupling.jpg
    162 x 137 - 7K
  • Looks like it could work but I'm concerned that there's not enough thread to seal. The 1/2 union cost me $2.50 and I get the welding for practically free. Will cost me some homebrew but I'm giving a portion always away.

• I was just trying to let you avoid buying the 1/2" NPT fittings.. you can weld these on also if you think they will not seal with threads alone, the link I posted before has a nice close-up of one on my PC outlet, I removed the threads and welded on the side of the 3/8 fitting of a 2" PC...

2mm of stainless is enough to seal... I have one at the bottom of my 380L boiler, it has about 10-12 ftlbs or torque on it, I am 100% confident it is not going anywhere, and I will weld it when I feel like doing yoga...

• Totally understand & appreciate trying to avoid the welding! Issue is that I don't have the right equipment at home for either welding or drilling into 2mm SS so I had to find someone for it anyhow. That way, I get a professional to do the drilling and welding and less chance for me to f it up due to lack of practice...

• This has echo's of my problem with the heating element, BSP or NPT...when you think about it these different threads are not expected to mate. =;

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

• edited March 2015

Got my RC & PC back from a little modification...
    Now I only have to wait for my Arduino, decide on a valve and re-#'en my C skills (forgive my pun)

dephlegmator_mod.jpg
    600 x 800 - 48K
  • Nice.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I went this way and I am happy.

• industrial_pipe_fitting.jpg
    250 x 185 - 8K
  • I'm pretty sure @TheMechWarrior is happy about that!